question

mr-manuel avatar image
mr-manuel asked

Venus OS integrated firewall

Hello,

I'd like to limit the access to my Venus OS from a specific subnet or IP addresses. Unfortunately I found no indication in Venus OS how the integrated firewall works. Someone can give me maybe some informations?

Venus OSsecurityfirewalllimit access
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mr-manuel avatar image
mr-manuel answered Ā·

Now I found out that "iptables" are used.

When the system boots up the "iptables" are setup with the definitions from "/etc/iptables/rules". Then the "venus-platform" starts, it adds some rules from the Venus OS settings (tcp/22, tcp/1883, tcp/8883 and tcp/9001).

The file "/etc/iptables/rules" gets lost, if you do a Venus OS update, therefore you could add a command like

grep -qxF -- '-A INPUT -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j DROP' /etc/iptables/rules || sudo sed -i '3i\-A INPUT -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j DROP' /etc/iptables/rules

to "/data/rc.local". This checks on every bootup, if the entry is in the "/etc/iptables/rules" file and if not it adds the line.

Pay attention, if you don't know what you are doing you can lock yourself out. Then you have to reinstall Venus OS over the connected display, if you have one.

Try first adding the rule with iptables command (e.g. "iptables -A new-conn -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j DROP") which adds the rule only to the running system and is lost if the device restarts. Already opened connections are not disconnected in this case, so try to reconnect and check if everything is working as expected.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered Ā·

Alternatively, place the device in its own vlan and restrict access via your router/firewall.

1 comment
2 |3000

mr-manuel avatar image mr-manuel commented Ā·
I would, if there was the option for. Unfortunately in this case I can only use the shared network.
0 Likes 0 Ā·

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic