question

groningen avatar image
groningen asked

Temp sensor advantage

What is the advantage to connect a temp sensor to a Quattro / Multi?

I have a 48/5000 quatrro with BMV, would adding a temp sensor give me an advangae to ... Lets say charge slower when battery (Lead Acid) is getting a bit warm ...... or ....

Also, if I swap the Lead Acid to a Lifepo4, would it also be an advantage for the Lifepo4?

Temperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Groningen

For lead acid it is used for temperature compensated charging. Lead acid charged voltages vary in different temperatures.

For lithium it is used for low temp cut off.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@Alexandra

Thank you for the prompt response.

We currently having a bit of HOT weather 30 to 38C (summer). For this reason I am thinking of connecting a temp sensor to the system. It is an old setup, but recently I can smell the batteries and a Ripple alarm pop's up. I suspect the battery pack is getting old and needs replacing.

As your explanation, would this mean that the addition of the temp sensor, the charge (amps) will decrease to allow the batteries not to overheat?

I downloaded the manual, but it does not clearly state what is changing within the software as temp increase / decreases.

PS, I suspect I will have to set the system to allow for temp reading ..... DVCC menu...?

Thanks again

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Groningen

It does not control amps but the voltage.

The hotter the battery the lower the voltage it is charged to.

Won't save already dead batteries though.

With lead acid their internal resistance will control the amps going in up to a certain point. You system in either set up or in DVCC should already be set up not to over amp the battery in charge rate. (C rating)

If the temp sensor is connected to the inverter, I am not sure if it will be available in DVCC.

2 Likes 2 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
@Groningen In the Multiplus manual go right to the back, Appendix F, temperature compensation, shows how the charging voltage varies with temperature. You have to make sure you have the correct voltage/temperature compensation value for your batteries.
2 Likes 2 ·

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor