question

willyritch avatar image
willyritch asked

Connecting sensors to GX Tank 140

I'm a little confused about the 4 sets of sensor connections on a GX Tank 140. The manual says #1 and #2 are powered by an external power supply and #3 and #4 are powered by a built in power supply.

So....if I want to hook up (4) 4-20mA sensors, do I need to supply the GX Tank 140 with 24vdc to power sensors #1 and #2? While #3 and #4 are getting power from...where...the USB connnection?

tank monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

If you connect external power to the GX Tank 140 for channel 1 and 2 could be 12V or 24V to suit. Channels 3 and 4 comes from the USB but is isolated from it. This is described in the manual.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/GX_Tank_140/GX_Tank_140-en.pdf

On my unit I had 3 12V senders so I wired the +12V and 0V direct to the senders from my 12V supply, added a 0V connection to the external GND connection on the Tank 140 and connected the signal wires from the 3 senders to the In connections on channels 1 to 3 and it is working OK like this.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

willyritch avatar image
willyritch answered ·

Thanks for that answer

2 |3000

mcwillem avatar image
mcwillem answered ·

I don't understand the answer you get , you asked

" So....if I want to hook up (4) 4-20mA sensors, do I need to supply the GX Tank 140 with 24vdc to power sensors #1 and #2? While #3 and #4 are getting power from...where...the USB connnection?.

the answer you get was from an answer that gives me more questions. have you perhaps found how to connect?

I asume, you used channel 1 up to 4 with ext power? but how wire the channels, all of them VOUD ,IN and GND wired? I hope some could help me. the manual is unclear for me.

2 |3000