question

zed-must avatar image
zed-must asked

can I use an ET112 monitor for wind to get data on the vrm?

hi, I have my wind inverter connected to the ac out on my Quattro which is all good except that I can't see any data on the vrm. if I connect the wind inverter through an ET112 also and change it's role to pv inverter will that allow me to see wind data on the arm - albeit that it will show as a solar inverter? I am hoping this will also allow me to configure the ESS and DESS properly with rules on when to put power back to the grid etc which I can't do at the moment. thx

et112 pv readings
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @zed must

Yes this will work. It's how many people who use unsupported PV Inverters monitor their pv in the victron system.

(I've assumed you're aware of the need for frequency shifting on wind inverter if on critical load side of inverter, note the meter has no control over any of that it's purely monitoring but thought it was worth mentioning just in case).

The other options which doesnt sound like it's applicable to you is if your wind turbine uses a wind charge controller and then connects directly to battery (with the relevant dump loads etc configured). If you wire it this way you can achieve similar outcome using smart shunt configured to monitor the generation of the wind turbine.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

zed-must avatar image zed-must commented ·
Great thanks Matt. It would be great if one of the role options for the 112 was ‘wind’ or similar to differtiate from pv. Do you know of any way to make a feature suggestion to victron for this? Or is there a reason they arent providing this as an option?
0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image matt1309 zed-must commented ·

Hi @zed must

I imagine it's probably because victron MPPT's aren't really setup to work with wind.

I can't think of a reason why they can't, it's supported if the wind turbine is wired in on DC side (ie via smart shunt).

I've never used them but gui mods might allow you to split the pv inverters out by name and then maybe you can rename it to wind? (This is a guess not sure if this is supported but might be one to look into).
GitHub - kwindrem/GuiMods: VenusOS GUI enhancements and modifications

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic