question

freddyuk avatar image
freddyuk asked

ET112 connection failure or not?

I have an ESS system with Quattro/batteries/ccgx/et112 meter.

Whilst on hoilday with one of the sunniest poeriods my system had a communication error. There seemed to be no battery activity as the grid was charging the batteries which were at 100%.

I have now checked the system and there is no PV showing on the CCGX. The inverters are working and I have over 5kw of solar generation from them. The ET112 has a solid red light on the top right. The other LED is flashing as normal.

I checked the USB connection to the CCGX and this has one solid red light and some green flashing of the other LED but not continuous. Is this another cable failure as i have replaced one already.

I understand that if Solar disappears off the CCGX screen it is a communication error from the grid meter ET112. Do you agree?

Thanks

et112 pv readings
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
daza avatar image
daza answered ·

Bit strange you've already been though a RS 485 cable I would check for shorting somewhere down the line. how is it connected ie via a usb hub or direct to the Cerbo or via zigbee? Any modifications to the Cerbo ie plugins?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

freddyuk avatar image
freddyuk answered ·

It is connected from USB socket in CCGX to the terminals in the Grid meter. These are very fiddly to wire up but it has been working for years now without a problem until I go away..

I can see the batteries are being charged and I have solar coming in but the Grid usage in VRM is not correct as it is mirroring the solar input. As we were not at home the actual grid usage was quite small but registered as very high so a communication error. I lost communications and discovered my internet was down at home but this has been rebooted now and the error still exists. No solar showing on my CCGX.

2 |3000

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

You know victron had/has got some issued with VRM @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) has been updating everyone about it. What side is your PV on AC in our AC out and where is your et112 sitting in relation to these. But as said this could be part of the VRM issue reach out to @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) as you said it was working for years and if you have not changed anything should still work as it use too.

2 |3000

freddyuk avatar image
freddyuk answered ·

I cannot see this being VRM issue as there is a physical connection between the CCGX and the grid monitor so it should show up on the screen unless there is a fault in the RS485 connection? The solar is all working but the reported info is incorrect of course as no battery usage shows up on the consumption screen on VRM. I guess it thinks the charging must be coming from the grid not solar and reports grid consumption instead of solar charging.

2 |3000

freddyuk avatar image
freddyuk answered ·

So today the connection with the grid meter has failed and my system is in Passthru. No grid meter is found on CCGX. The red LED on the grid meter is only flashing very occassionaly and the red/green is still flashing constantly. I cannot get any response from my Victron agent to trace a new RS485 cable in Ireland. Not sure if I am able to regain solar input to the system some other way so now I am on the grid full time.

2 |3000

freddyuk avatar image
freddyuk answered ·

The system is back up and running. I checked the connections to the grid meter and one wire was easily broken off when I pulled on them. I rewired the RS485 connection and I had communication back to the CCGX but still no Solar showing up. I checked the power from the solar breaker into the grid meter and it was showing 240v and 7 amps. After going through the settings again I found nothing amiss but then the solar appeared on the screen. This failure occurred while we were away when the house router stopped so we lost VRM monitoring remotely but no intervention by us but the CCGX lost connection with the solar input and then magically re established a connection days later. It is resolved without expense but I have no answer to how it happened.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic