question

jfrancoism avatar image
jfrancoism asked

Smart Battery Protect with potential battery on both side

I have a load in my car that can be powered by the car battery when its running or by an external battery located outside of car. To protect the car battery from discharge, I was planning to use Victron Smart Battery Protect (BP) and use the car’s ACC (Accessory ON) signal to control the battery protector open/close status.

If I want to connect an external power source to the load, for when ACC is off (BP is open), do I need to physically disconnect the Victron Smart Battery Protect to avoid risk of reverse current and damage it. Is than even an issue when the ACC signal is off (BP is open)?

Another question, this time regarding the case the the ACC is ON (BP is closed) and I forgot to disconnect the external battery. The voltage on the OUT side of the battery protector will likely be higher than the voltage on the IN side by 1-2 volts (LiFePO4 vs Lead car battery voltage) resulting in potential reverse current. Can this reverse current damage the battery protector? Will it need to be reset or it will work normally right after the situation is resolved?

thanks

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers