question

woz001 avatar image
woz001 asked

Wallmount piece for a Phoenix 48/5000

I've got a used Phoenix inverter (PIN485020000) I'd like to try out, but this metal wall mount piece is unfortunately missing. I could use some simple wall hooks for first tests, but given the weight I am not so confident with such a solution.

I have not seen original Victron replacement parts in any shop. I also asked my nearest Victron dealer and he told me it is not worth to go for such a part. He didn't tell me how much an original would cost or if it is even possible to get - I had the impression that it is better not to bother him any more... :-(

Some dimensions for that can be found in the documentation, so I might be able to build something similar or ask someone to do it. But its quite some custom work and will cost a bit.

Thus, before I try that, anyone an idea for any suitable, not too expensive replacement of this wallmount at some reasonable cost? Or something else which could be used to install the inverter safely?

I checked some shops, but I could not find anything looking close to that part.

Thanks a lot in advance!

installation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
woz001 avatar image
woz001 answered ·

I found rails for mounting wall cupboards and similar, the one I will use can carry about 60kg on a length of 325mm when properly installed. It is cheap, can be used "as is" and easy to come by as well.

1707058271113.png

This is sufficient for the weight of the Phoenix (with about 2x safety factor).

I also got my hands on a wall mount for an MP-II 48/5k, it is too small for the Phoenix and I would also need to cut off some parts to make it fit. So it would also loose some strength. So this is also no option.

In fact, as one can order them for arbitrary length, I might even consider that generic wall mounts for mounting multiple inverters on a single, long rail (thinking about three MP-II for 3ph operation). One time install and all nicely mounted on the same height...

I also checked this DIN-35 rails out, but the sheet metal they are made of is really thin, so I don't really trust them - and they are simply not made for carrying load...

So thanks for your input, but I think I have the perfect solution now - practically as good as the original without any sweat, I'd say. :-)

1707058271113.png (617.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@woz001

You generally can't buy them separately.

Maybe someone on the forum has one floating around?

You did contact a local repair centre, they sometimes have a spare one laying around, guess not for that particular one. Would have been my first call anyway. Any old one to modify from another inverter probably would have worked. The hook park for the bracket on the back is not that complicated.

The other option is triangle brackets under or angle iron box?

Basically as long as there is a way for air to be drawn from underneath you will be fine just putting it on a surface.

If you lie it down on its back it will work but derate with heat. So sort of an option as well.

1 comment
2 |3000

woz001 avatar image woz001 commented ·

In fact, I did ask a local Victron dealer/shop as mentioned on the "where to buy" page on the Victron web site first. But I suppose they just tried to sell me some equipment and not only spare parts. I don't blame them, everyone is currently quite stressed out as there is lot to work and I would understand they keep this things for their "real" customers...

Thanks for clarification. At least it speaks for Victron, that the demand on such parts does not justify to sell them separately - as one does not want to remove such equipment prematurely. In fact I just got this 5kW Phoenix only because it was replaced by a 10kW Quattro, as far as I know...

Anyhow, I had another idea: maybe a 30cm wide DIN35 rail might work as replacement, if I get a high-quality one and mount it with proper bolts and additionally large washers as support. Maybe together with smaller triangle brackets below as additional support. This was an important hint, I noticed there are even two holes on the bottom I can use for those mounts. I really want to mount it properly upright, as it will also take less space that way (besides proper cooling).

I have to be careful, I am living on the south side of the alps, where we have a relatively high earthquake rating. So I need a sturdy, reliable mount - I have confidence that the massive case of this inverter might survive even a drop, but my tiled floor for shure will not... :-D No, I really do not want to risk someone could get hurt by that.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dušan Klofutar avatar image
Dušan Klofutar answered ·

If your casing is old one,like mine-also buyed used Multiplus without wallmount,you can use four holes on backplate,two bottom nad two above under the top cover to fix Phoenix on the wall with thick screws like i do with mine Multi...

20210321-112715.jpg

20210321-112715.jpg (939.7 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks for your proposal! The Phoenix 48/5000 looks somewhat different, is larger and significantly heavier than the Multiplus 12/3000 I can see on this picture. It also has no holes anywhere on the back (only this mounting "hook") and there is no access to allow fastening screws when mounted on the wall (at least not without significant disassembly as far as I can see). Drilling own holes is also not the solution I am looking for.

0 Likes 0 ·
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

@woz001 "I also asked my nearest Victron dealer and he told me it is not worth to go for such a part."

I had a similar issue with my local dealer. Twice now they refused to order the items I wanted to buy even though their head office had the items in stock and was only 300km away. If one is willing to pay for the shipping and handling to bring one in it's no skin off the local dealers virtual nose to do so. "shrug".

So I purchased what I wanted from a different Victron dealer 1500km away and received it within 4 days.

Short story: Try calling around to other dealers.

1 comment
2 |3000

Yes, I agree. Anyhow, it's a shame...

I was always a friend of buying locally and support companies in my vicinity, but such companies are exactly the reason why I meanwhile also look more often in web shops. :-(

But as this is obviously not a regular replacement part as I know now, so I would be happy to get any good ideas for alternate replacement parts instead. Tomorrow I will try the DIN-35 rail idea, that's easy to come by and actually might work as well. I just got a good one today from a local electrician for a few Euro, which was even cheaper than just shipping costs, if I would have ordered something online...

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic