question

cybermaus avatar image
cybermaus asked

Bluetooth and VE.Smart on Orion XS vs Orion Tr

So I recently ordered (but not unwrapped) a Orion Tr 12/12 30
But it cannot do VE.Smart. It has bluetooth, but cannot connect to the Smart.Shunt

The Orion XS however confuses me: The document *tells me* it *will* have smart later this year. But the device does not even have a Bluetooth Logo. But it does have VE.Connect. So am I being tricked into also buying a Bluetooth dongle?

It is already twice the price of the Orion-Tr, to then also have to add a dongle....

orion smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The Orion XS has BT but currently no VE.Smart Networking but this will be added in the next 2-3 weeks.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cybermaus avatar image cybermaus commented ·

And for the rest it is also a normal B2B charger right? I notice it is also a lot smaller then the Tr. Almost too small for a 50Amp buck/boost device.

So, I can use the XS also to deal with my Euro6 camper, fully charge my aux battery from my generator, even when the generator reduced it voltage?

(I probably will have to limit the current to 20 or 30 amps though, not sure thinking I can get 50Amps out of my car is realistic)

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ cybermaus commented ·

Both are working the same way with identical VictronConnect settings.

The XS has a much more efficient design of the electronics and therefore it's much smaller.

It still has to be installed in a good ventilated area.

1 Like 1 ·
whitworth-marine avatar image whitworth-marine Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

When VE Smart comes online will the XS unit be able to Temperature Compensate using battery temperature data via Smartshunt or Smart Battery Sense?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ whitworth-marine commented ·

That's the goal, yes.

Take a loot at the updated datasheet.
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Orion-XS-12-12-50A-DC-DC-battery-charger-EN.pdf

The plan is to finish that feature until mid March.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic