question

ajpepe72 avatar image
ajpepe72 asked

Which version and ram pi to run Venus

Iā€™m wanting to order a pi to run Venus os. Iā€™ve found plenty of guides but none seem to say what ram requirement the pi needs, pi hut has pi4ā€™s in 1gb and 2gb versions, is it worth getting the 2gb over the 1gb ?

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered Ā·

Hi @Ajpepe72

I'd always go up in ram just in case but imagine it'll depend massively on what you'll be running on it. Reasonable system i imagine 1 is enough but if you're going big and using lots of node red functionality then maybe go up a size.

For comparison Victron list the ram used by their gx devices, see here:

Victron GX product range [Victron Energy]

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered Ā·

top and /proc/meminfo both indicate about 0.3 GB of RAM is in use with Venus OS standard, and about 0.6 GB with large) running on my 2 GB PI4. I'd probably go for the 2 GB version in case memory needs grow in the future, but if cost is a factor then the 1 GB version should work at least for now.

At one point, Venus OS limited RAM to 1 GB regardless of how much was on board, but that limitation was eliminated at some point.

2 |3000

Related Resources