question

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem asked

SetupHelper v6.0

I just released a major rewrite to SetupHelper.

v6.0 fixes an issue in Package manager where a file set error would prevent future installs even though the stored version changed.

I also rearranged the PackageManager menus to give more room for version numbers.

But the big change is in the handling of installs and uninstalls:

Reinstall now only installs SetupHelper. Other packages are now installed by PackageManager once it is up and running. This prevents conflicts between the two threads of install.

I have added the ability to install files using the unix patch utility. This will only work if a patch file works across all versions (that is, are version-independent). I evaluated the possibility of using only patch for all modifications but this proved inefficient. File replacement is still the best way to handle so many Venus OS versions.

Most package installs are now completely list based, eliminating the need to install and uninstall individual files, services and dBus settings.

These changes are backward compatible with previous packages.

Another change (needed to make new packages work with the old SetupHelper) is that command line install no longer relies on SetupHelper. The helper resources are now included in new packages. GuiMods v9.0 also released today is the first of my packages incorporating these new helper resources.

For developers, updateFileSets has been replaced with a more comprehensive updatePackage and handles moving version-independent and alternate originals to their own directory.

If you experience any issues please report here or better yet in the appropriate GitHub repo.

You can revert to previous versions by setting the GitHub branch/tag to:

v5.18 for SetupHelper

v8.31 for GuiMods

Venus OS
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ronschneider avatar image ronschneider commented Ā·
I have a cerbo gx have been running GUI mods for past year. Love it. But for some reason I was doing some changes in victron connect. Had issues with packet manager afterwards. And now I can't get packet manager, setup helper, gui mods to work, re load nothing. Still have packet manager tab. But when you click on it. It says packet manager not running. How do I wipe it clean and reload it?
0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem ronschneider commented Ā·
If you have command line access, you can uninstall from there:

/data/SetupHelper/setup

then choose uninstall

Then run again and choose install.

If no command line access, you can do a blind uninstall as described in the SetupHelper ReadMe.

I'd appreciate the logs from this system.

If you have command line access, the log I'm interested in is /data/log/PackageManager (all files in that folder) and also /data/log/SetupHelper. zip these files

If no command line access, once you have PackageManager running again, do a backup from the Package manager menu to a USB stick. You'll find logs.zip on the stick.

Either way, please post the zip file to the SetupHelper issues section of GitHub.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
0 Answers

Related Resources