question

peterpan1 avatar image
peterpan1 asked

Can I connect additional loads only to the negative load connector of the BlueSolar MPPT 75/15?

I've checked continuity and it seems the negative load output and the negative battery terminal are shorted or at least there is a switch. In this case it is an inverter that seems to have a too high power surge on turning on for the MPPT load to handle (it simply switches off).

It seems when I connect a load to (+) of the battery and (-) of the BlueSolar MPPT, the Victron app can track its consumption, which is great.

My questions are these:

1. Is this safe to do?

2. Will low voltage disconnect still work, i.e. will the BlueSolar MPPT switch off the negative load terminal? I'm using the BatteryLife algorithm, by the way.

MPPT ControllersBattery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Maybe the load current is being measured in the negative, but you might be bypassing the current sensor for the battery current. When the load current is being measured, is the battery current also being measured? In the night, the load current and battery current should be the same or very close.

As far as I know (on my 100/20) the load switch is in the positive (high side), so with your proposed wiring the load will not be switched off when a low battery event occurs.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.