question

Mike Gillming avatar image
Mike Gillming asked

How many 'Battery sense' sensors per MPPT controller

How many "battery sense" sensors can a 100/30 MPPT charger manage? obviously the controller can only output to both, but if one battery was colder than the other, you hope the controller would shut off to both(?)

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

The chargers don't manage them. It's a shared network, and there can only be one voltage, current, or temperature sensing device shared with the network:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Smart_Networking/en/limitations.html

• It is not possible to measure multiple battery temperatures/voltages/charge currents: only one Smart Battery Sense, or one BMV can be used in a system. Having multiple sensors connected to different batteries can lead to charging issues as overcharging or heating up the batteries. Always make sure to have your sensors/chargers on the VE.Smart Networking connected to the same battery. If, by accident, two or more sensors (e.g. Smart Battery Sense and/or BMV) are connected to the same VE.Smart Networking, a priority mechanism is used to decide which battery temperature, battery voltage and battery current should be used by the charger. The priority mechanism is first based on the type of sensor (e.g. BMV has higher priority than the Smart Battery Sense), and second based on the serial number of the sensor. At the end, only one information will be used by the charger.

The only way you will get the functionality you need is to have ONE MPPT and ONE SBS per battery. Each set will be in their own VE.Smart network, i.e., MPPT1 + SBS1 on battery 1 in their own VE.Smart network, THEN MPPT2 + SBS2 on battery 2 in their own VE.Smart network.

If individual batteries in a battery bank are at significantly different temperatures, one of three things is likely:

1. Design issue (poorly specified hardware).
  2. Configuration issue (positioning, wiring, etc.).
  3. Component failure.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Gillming avatar image Mike Gillming commented ·
  1. Thanks 'snoobler'. I believe you. I must say though, that doesn't seem very 'smart'. I would've thought that with today's modern micro processors, the controller should know 'who's who, and switch off if one of the batteries reached too low/hot temp(?) I thought all victron veg devices talked to each other (?) ie, my system has the smart mppt, smart Shunt, smart dc/DC alt charger and a smart 230vac charger, and I have 2x 100ah victron smart 12v batteries in parellel. Do I not need a smart battery sense at all then?...I would certainly appreciate your take, I am perplexed?... cheers M
0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler Mike Gillming commented ·
Sounds like you just assume things work a certain way. It's much better to understand your system and work within its limitations.

Recommend you read your manuals and learn how to use your equipment.
1 Like 1 ·
Mike Gillming avatar image Mike Gillming snoobler commented ·
ouch...that's a bit sharp, I've read the manuals many times, they can be vague..I'm an industrial electrician with instrumentation accreditation, as well as automation programming and fault finding (30+ years).. Victron is not as "smart" as it could be...end of...but thank you for replying.....
0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler Mike Gillming commented ·

Read the manuals many times? Clearly not. I linked you the VE.Smart manual, which EXPLICITLY answered your question. Not vague whatsoever. Your education and experience clearly aren't relevant. I'm an aerospace engineer with 30+ years of experience in a completely unrelated field, yet I can read a manual and comprehend it.

Things are 1) the way you want them to be and 2) the way they actually are. #2 is ALWAYS true. #1 is only true when it's in agreement with #2.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Gillming avatar image Mike Gillming snoobler commented ·
let's try to keep things friendly aye 'rocketman? the 'data sheet' on the web site I read does not say one sensor per controller, anywhere, it says, as many controllers as you want, and your suggestion to add more MPPT controllers as a person has batteries to accommodate an inexpensive temperature, is absurd ...if a 'controller' has not the ability to recognise two or more simple inputs (temperature is as simple as they come), and then decide whether its safe to 'output', is not very 'Smart', in my experience....end of..."good day sir"...."fly high"
0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Gillming avatar image
Mike Gillming answered ·
Thanks 'snoobler'. I believe you. I must say though, that doesn't seem very 'smart'. I would've thought that with today's modern micro processors, the controller should know 'who's who, and switch off if one of the batteries reached too low/hot temp(?) I thought all victron veg devices talked to each other (?) ie, my system has the smart mppt, smart Shunt, smart dc/DC alt charger and a smart 230vac charger, and I have 2x 100ah victron smart 12v batteries in parellel. Do I not need a smart battery sense at all then?...I would certainly appreciate your take, I am perplexed?... cheers M
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

LOL keep it friendly, everyone

Mike, the manual as linked by snoobler is clear, and is accurate. Further argument or "what ifs" or "well shouldn't it be" is not relevant - the equipment does what the manual says it does, and does it very well; if you require capabilities beyond the capabilities of the equipment, there are always (more expensive) alternatives.

I'm closing the question now as the correct answer has been given.

2 |3000