question

avontuur avatar image
avontuur asked

Battery Protect and Opto-Isolator

Can I replace the remote on/off switch of a BP with the open collector output of an opto isolator such as 4n35? Similar use to switching AUX i/O on a Multiplus?

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

That should be fine, although I have not tried this on a BP myself. However, I use 4N35's between my BMS and the inputs to my MultiPlus.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

avontuur avatar image avontuur commented ·

Thanks, I'm putting together an opto isolator circuit now for between my 123BMS and Multiplus. I will try it out with the BP.

0 Likes 0 ·
avontuur avatar image
avontuur answered ·

@WKirby

The 123BMS only has allow to charge and allow to discharge relays. I need them the control the Multiplus with the 2 signal BMS Assistant.

However there are other circuits that I wish to control, such as two Battery Protects for charge (PV and MPPT) and anothe BP for 12v loads and I thought I could multiply thir outputs and isolate the 2 relays by using multi channel opto isolators.

Or is this too much? I know that each device can be set up for LIPO but I'm still getting to understand the means of turning them on or off in the event that cell voltage goes outside the set parameters.

2 comments
2 |3000

arve avatar image arve commented ·

Just curious, I also have a 123smartbms and want to send "signals" to multiplus, BP, and smartsolar. What did you end up doing? thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
arve avatar image arve commented ·

Just curious, I also have a 123smartbms and want to send "signals" to multiplus, BP, and smartsolar. What did you end up doing? thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

I have used an optocoupler to control a BP and it works fine. I use a 4 channel PC817 board and I use the Allow to Charge and Allow to Discharge from my BMS (similar to how you'd use your 123BMS. I use two for the allow to charge and two for allow to discharge. One of each goes to to the multi, then the other two go to a BP65 for my small DC loads and a BP100 for my MPPT charger and DC-DC charger.

2 |3000