question

bigmacca avatar image
bigmacca asked

MPPT 100/50 BMV 702 320W 12v Solar

I see people have Error codes but i cant seem to find where you locate them. i have been reading and cant find answers so decided to see if anyone could help or point me in the right direction before i purchase a new MPPT.

I have a 100/50 MPPT it can charge batteries during day but when i check in on it in morning its switched off no LEDS. i have disconnect positive Panel and Battery on MPPT re connect and it will charge batteries all day again. same thing next morning, not sure when it turns off or why. couple weeks prior to this issue i upgraded the solar from 120w panel that looked shattered to the 320w panel, but certain its was working fine and ive only just notice this problem,

System 220AH battery, 320w 12v Solar, MPPT 100/50 controlled by BMV 702

appreciate any help or direction

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Generally the LEDs on the MPPT can flash in a specific sequence to indicate an error.

It's easiest to download the free 'Victron Toolkit' app to diagnose the errors.

Also if you can connect up to your MPPT via Bluethooth with the VictronConnect app that will directly tell you what any errors are (look for the orange circles in the 'history' tab.

I believe that some of the really old model MPPTs do totally turn off when there is no solar available, but the newer units should still be able to be interfaced with as long as they are powered by the battery.

Also note that for any MPPT to 'wake up' each morning and start charging in bulk phase the solar voltage must exceed the current battery voltage by 5v.

If none of this information explains your issue then its best to speak directly to your dealer for further assistance.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bigmacca avatar image
bigmacca answered ·

It's easiest to download the free 'Victron Toolkit' app to diagnose the errors. yes done this but had no LEDs it turns off and theres nothing in that APP

Also if you can connect up to your MPPT via Bluethooth with the VictronConnect app that will directly tell you what any errors are (look for the orange circles in the 'history' tab. nothing marked Orange i did notice on app MAX 14.6v Min 00.1v so im assuming maybe Battery buggered, something draining battery but only fridge on at night that im aware off. so MPPT switches off for safety maybe?

I believe that some of the really old model MPPTs do totally turn off when there is no solar available, but the newer units should still be able to be interfaced with as long as they are powered by the battery. purchased maybe 18months ago. was working fine not sure when this problem started only just noticed it some im assuming a week of problems.

Also note that for any MPPT to 'wake up' each morning and start charging in bulk phase the solar voltage must exceed the current battery voltage by 5v. i was aware of this actually just read it the other day. i tried to see if that happened but doesnt only was it will work again is if i disconnect @ MPPT both Positive terminals and re attach. it will work perfect for most of day i cant seem to catch hen it turns off or if anything happens before it turns off.

If none of this information explains your issue then its best to speak directly to your dealer for further assistance. yeah may go to someone else as they told me the MPPT was faulty by sounds of it but im not convinced personally thats why ive been asking for a little help online.

Appreciate your time putting that together Mark. i did notice an issue when i looked at history which i never noticed prior so might lead me down another track.

2 |3000