question

lbsebetela1960 avatar image
lbsebetela1960 asked

Can't find setting for PV inverter on AC input?

My system is MPPT 250/100 with multiplus 48/5000/70 with grid power. There is no option for pv inverter AC input. It gives me options of shore power and generator only.

CCGX Color Control
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

I'd propose starting by providing a diagram of your system and the components in relation to each other. I spotted what appears to be an ET112? If so, it should not have terminators, which is used on canbus. Have you enabled a grid code and installed ESS? Do you have a CT or energy meter that can see the PV inverter AND all the loads downstream of it?

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@lbsebetela1960

If the PV inverter is on the AC input then it is grid power since it outputs grid level voltage

Does the PV inverter communicate with the CCGX?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lbsebetela1960 avatar image lbsebetela1960 commented ·
It doesn't look like the PV inverter communicates with th CCGX. The PV inverter is not available as an AC input. Switching from grid to PV inverter is manual. How do I make it automatic?
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@lbsebetela1960

You mean like on this screen?..

1705296300662.png

If Grid is missing here, perhaps try a firmware upgrade.

1705296300662.png (23.1 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Firmware upgrade of what? This is my screen exactly, Grid is not missing, As you can see, what is missing is PV inverter input. The switch between grid and PV inverter is manual, How do i fix this. First picture is where we switch between grid and PV inverter. Second picture is my installation. 87141.jpg

img-8655.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
img-8655.jpg (3.5 MiB)
87141.jpg (897.8 KiB)
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@lbsebetela1960

Ok, I think I get it now. But I have no idea how your system is set up.

Normally both Grid and PV Inverter are on together, but ac PV can be wired either on ACIn or ACOut.

There's no internal selector for what (I think) you mean.

Likely you need to talk with your installer to find out how it's set up. Or a wiring diagram..

0 Likes 0 ·
ardje avatar image
ardje answered ·

You say that the PV is on AC-INPUT, while you also say you have an MPPT 250/100 which charges the battery directly...
Do you have two PV installations?
Also: the AC1 inputs are more like labels, be it a generator, grid, or something else. It's a "master" AC input, and if that master is within certain parameters, the victron will use it after it has been synchronized and stable for a minute. It really doesn't matter if it is grid, another victron.
However, it does need to know what kind of connection it is, if it is to feed back power.

3 comments
2 |3000

Many thanks. have one PV installation. Are u saying AC1 is the primary input? If so, for us it should be the PV inverter. Also, are you saying generator or shore power includes any other source that’s not grid AC? How do you synchronize?
0 Likes 0 ·
ardje avatar image ardje lbsebetela1960 commented ·
Ah, I understand your confusing. It took me a long time.

So you want to use battery power over AC-INPUT power.
The MPPT charges the battery directly.
The MPPT should also be directly connected to your CCGX, and it will monitor the state of charging.

AC-INPUT is not a main input. It is what you want it to be.
You can actually turn it off/disconnect it, if you have enough PV power to keep your batteries full through the night.

However if you do need an extra feed for your battery and that feed happens to be AC, then your victron will use that input as the "master" of the phase clock. If AC-input is disconnected, the MP2 will turn into micro-grid mode. But if the AC-input is connected to a life power feed, it will synchronize to that source and start charging the battery with it.

You have to reconfigure your system/set the right parameters if you want to change the default settings.
So the default is UPS mode, where it keeps the battery topped up, assists AC-IN when more power is needed, and switches to full inverter mode if AC-IN is lost.
So if your AC-IN is not connected, it will automatically always use battery, which is charged by the MPPT. This MPPT will be a separate item on your display. But the MPPT has to be connected by a VE-can cable.
Rereading your question:
Your AC-IN is connected to the grid. You can configure the MP2 to accept remote input of the power in. And then on the color-gx turn the input power to 0A.
I think if you use the ESS helper, you can turn off back charging to the grid (I assume that's not allowed in your case). But it allows you to set a schedule to charge your battery at certain times like in the middle of the night, which might be a better price.

But let us get this straight: your main problem is that you want to primarily want to use your battery but also need to use grid power if there isn't enough power?

0 Likes 0 ·
delf67 avatar image delf67 ardje commented ·

The way I read this (and I could be totally wrong) is that the power to the house has to be manually switched between using mains or being powered by the MP (what the poster is calling "PV Inverter" - as there doesn't seem to be an actual PV inverter installed).

The "manual switch box" looks like a DP MCB (which is off in the pic) and an RCD or RCBO next to it (which is shown as on). There is also a 4-pole MCB above that (off in the pic) that would imply that the mains supply is 3-phase.

The MP is shown as inverting with no mains input.

Without knowing how this is all wired I wouldn't want to begin to guess.......

0 Likes 0 ·