question

bramepc avatar image
bramepc asked

MPPT charge controller: complete oxidation PV+ terminal

I have a 6 year old MPTT 100/30 charge controller that I stopped using about 3 years ago since I could not tighten the PV+ terminal screw anymore and I needed a more powerful unit anyways. As I want to use it for a different project I tried to loosen it again today but no matter what I tried the thing was stuck. Finally I got the cover of, and cut open the side of the connector and the thing is just completely oxidized.

I am going to try and find similar terminals to replace it (if someone knows which type they are I am listening) but anyone any idea why this thing is so rusty ? It was never in contact with water unless maybe condensation, but all the other terminals are in pristine condition so I would expect them to be affected too if it is condensation. Some kind of chemical reaction that only happens at PV+ ?

I would like to understand the issue to make sure it does not happen to my much more expensive current unit.

Googling the problem does not give me any hits.

EDIT: I just found the terminal on farnell, it is a MULTICOMP PRO MC000232

mainboard-small.jpgoxidized-small.jpg

MPPT Controllersterminals
mainboard-small.jpg (95.2 KiB)
oxidized-small.jpg (111.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

definitely water entry plus a loose connection maybe.

looks like the water has run down the inside or outside of the wire itself as this maybe a way it got there.

as a suggestion remove the whole block and solder some wires directly to the board and then put two anderson plugs on the 4 wires on for in one for out. or use some mc4 connectors

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic