question

owen-a avatar image
owen-a asked

[UK] Does the Victron Multiplus 2 have grid tie built in?

Hi,

I have on my plans to buy a Victron Multiplus 2 as part of my new solar on/off-grid build. I've been told it can be grid tied. Is the grid tie inverter built in? If not, which grid tie should I buy as part of the system? Ideally it needs to be small since my space is limited.

My plan is to charge the batteries like standard, however any excess energy can be sent back to the grid. Also, to power the loads directly from solar from any excess.

Also, if I decide to use the grid for consuming power, I'd like the solar power to contribute to the loads so the consumption from the grid is reduced.

Can this inverter do those things?

Thanks!

offgridgrid
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

atebee avatar image atebee commented ·
You might want to consider a EasySolar II GX device rather than MPII. It's an all-in-one unit with inverter/charger, MPPT and CerboGX built-in. It is also ENA type tested so approved for grid tie.

With the EasySolar you would just need to source some suitable batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Just to add, re PV charger controller, you have to use the RS45/100-200 models as they are comply with isolation standards as the other models don't.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

atebee avatar image atebee commented ·
There is AC-DC isolation transformer via the MPII. I've never heard of there being an isolation requirement DC-DC for the solar in the UK.
0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie atebee commented ·
Hi

Yes there is requirements in NZ , Aussie rules as there can be issues as it can measure the PV panel resistance and shut down if an issue as DC can be injected via the PV panels, as grid tied inverters have the same system to protect the grid etc.

And to protect the PV to DC ground from the grid.

Regards
Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
atebee avatar image
atebee answered ·

Yes the MPII can be used as a grid tied inverter/charger in the way you describe, a very common use case. For connecting to the UK grid you will need to be aware of various regulations such as the requirement to notify or apply to your DNO when connecting the equipment.

There is no solar charge controller built into the MPII so you will need a separate MPPT charge controller.

The Victron ESS documentation is a good place to start on how the various components hang together in a Victron system.

2 |3000

owen-a avatar image
owen-a answered ·

Ah ok brilliant.

I have a local company willing to do all the DNO work for me. I'm in talks with my electrical supplier also.

Can a single individual like myself buy one for domestic use? And will I be able to use the web UI for stats? Or do I need to go through a company?

1 comment
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·
Hi

Yes you can, and it comes with a Cerbo? controller will be required for a ESS system anyway, And if your installer is good you can do house backup and off grid if required. and it's free to access the VRM portal and it has all the stats and data required, one the best out there to date.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron Offgrid page