question

helm avatar image
helm asked

Ferrit cores in a EV Victron charging station ?

I have found a loose Ferrit kernel (PN Wuerth electronic PN 74271132) in my new Victron charging box (PartNumber EVC300400300) when it was shipped to me. I could identify the loose part as the following :
https://de.farnell.com/wurth-elektronik/74271132/splitting-ferrit-m-kunststoffgeh/dp/1635618

Does anyone know to where (which cables) this part must be installed ?

Or has this been forgotten by someone during box assembly ?

ev charging station
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi, it should be installed on the cable that powers the contactors coil
0 Likes 0 ·
helm avatar image helm Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you very much ! I had almost forgotten about this problem since I had to take the box with me to my other location where it was sitting on the shelve for a month before I came back to it today for installing it.

Of course it did not work as expected and I ran into two issues where I got stuck with , and were the first one might be related to the missing ferrit if this causes noise disturbing the WIFI. Here are they:

1. the Wifi on the box seems to have difficulties to connect to my LAN although I placed a WiFI AP / Repeater very close to it (1m) . The only network I can get it connect to is the HotSpot wifi of my phone. It could be also that this is unstable firmware (see my next issue)

2. I realized that the box must have had a really long shelvetime in the store since the Firmware version it displays is: V3.3/1.19-beta-14

So I looked for a firmware update function which is supposed to be under Backup ... and found NONE . Any idea on how to get latest firmware on it or should I bring back in to the dealer for that.

For reference here are: PN EVC300400300 , SN HQ22126UTPF

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi, the update from 1.19 can be performed only through a GX device. On later versions, the firmware upload through the webpage of the device was added.
0 Likes 0 ·
helm avatar image helm Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you very much !

Yes, I have finally done the update via my GX device and it works now with firmware v1.27/4.4.

But to get there was a road full with potholes and I had to bring the box into the house into close proximity of an LAN based AP and had to take down basically all security of my network in order to connect the box into the LAN which includes the GX.

From there it was a piece of cake: enabling modbus-TCP on the GX, finding the EVCS from the GX-side and then performing the remote firmware update via VRM and the GX.

Afterwards it was like having gotten a brandnew box: all functions I was looking for in vain initially were now there (including FW-Update), the box connected smoothly into my network (with all security fences back up again) . This morning I brought it back to its place in the garage (some 25 m away from the closest AP in the house) and it connected still good to the network. Even then with the metal garage door closed and in line of sight to the AP it connected with sufficient margin above the clip level.

Looks like there was no WIFI hardware problem or disturbance and the problems I have seen were all due to very backlevel firmware which was not suited for customers.

Thanks again, Helmut

0 Likes 0 ·

I'm glad that all the issues are gone. The Firmware version running on your device was the initial one, and lots of new features and bug fixes were added since then.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers