question

Michael Stirrat avatar image
Michael Stirrat asked

Multiplus Showing V and Hz with generator, but no Amps

I'm recommissioning a 30+ year old diesel powered generator with a Mecc Alte alternator on my yacht. The generator has not been used in at least 4 years, probably more. I got it running and we converted it from 230v to 115v It runs, and generates AC at 50Hz and about 105V. I connected it to my Multiplus 120v 3000V 120A and it doesn't quite work. I have connected and used a Honda EU3200i in the same manner and used it in charge mode to charge my batteries, so I'm pretty sure the Multi is working correctly.

I read all I could find on the Victron site and disconnected the ground wire, disabled UPS Mode, enabled Dynamic Current Limiting and turned Weak AC since I'm sure this old generator is not putting out the best quality power.

Here's what the Multi says in VE config:

L1

UMains: 105v

IMains: 0.0A

Power: 0VA

Freq In: 49.1Hz

All the pertinent headings turned green

I also tried it using the hard switch set to Charger Only (without VE Config and the Color GX) and no LEDs lit up. In all cases I hear relays clicking occasionally.

What else should I be looking at?

multiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

change the multiplus to be 50hz this is a setting in ve configure I suppect that the multi is set to 60hz, anyway try that, just to see if it works.

1704691854788.png

Then check that the wide frequency is selected

1704691900859.png

1704691854788.png (126.9 KiB)
1704691900859.png (85.6 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·
If it does work then with the generator, then work out how this frequency change is going to affect the onboard equipment .

Or change the inverter back to 60hz this would then mean it may take 5 odd min to connect to the 50hz gen and when it did then the inverter outpuit would be 50% but as soon as you turned the gen off then it would revert to 60 hz

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@Michael Stirrat

The clicking relays is a good sign that when connected the power is dropping out of spec. This could be anything from a dry connection to a response from the genset itself. You could try lowering the Multi's AC Input Current Limit to see what effect that has. Even lower than the standard minimum (7.5A?) by turning off Power Assist as a trial.

If a Hz issue, old gensets can be just a rpm tweak with a screwdriver.

2 |3000

Michael Stirrat avatar image
Michael Stirrat answered ·

OK, I found the problem. It was right between the keyboard and the chair in fact. I wasn't sending my changes to the Multi. Disabling UPS Mode and Enabling Dynamic Current Limiting made it work. I also adjusted the throttle on the diesel motor to bring the frequency up to 50Hz and the voltage is now reading 110V.
Thanks for the help!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic