question

xzv avatar image
xzv asked

Multiplus II: Why is it important that AC-In's neutral and phase are not reversed?

A red sticker in the connection area of the inverter as well as the manual reads:

Do not invert neutral and phase when connecting the AC.

I wonder why this is important when connected in a single phase environment when PE is connected properly. This is alternating current, and the N and PE connections of AC-Out are only bridged after the mains is no longer available at AC-In.

Can someone please explain under which conditions it is important that N and L are not reversed, and what effects this can have?

Multiplus-IIwiring
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Is this a mobile or static installation?
0 Likes 0 ·
xzv avatar image xzv kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

A static installation, but it's intended to be connected via a "Schuko" (Type F) plug which also serves as the earthing contact.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

It depends on the type of system.

In an ESS with a selected gridcode will not connect to the grid if L and N are reversed.

In a RV without gridcode it will accept the grid in both ways. The problem is that with reversed L and N the circuit breaker will break the N not the L and that can be dangerous. Because of that you should use double pole breakers in a RV.

8 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

xzv avatar image xzv commented ·

I will have the ESS assistant installed and configured and set the grid code to Germany (VDE-AR-N 4105).

My breaker in the installation panel protects the L line, but not N. Or do you mean a circuit breaker inside the Multiplus?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ xzv commented ·
An ESS needs to be hardwired, it's not allowed to use a plug!

The MultiPlus-II doesn't have an internal circuit breaker. You have to install at last a RCD at the output.

0 Likes 0 ·
xzv avatar image xzv Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

I have an RCD connected. Which standard are you referring to that does not allow a plug-in solution? And I still don't understand which situation creates a problematic situation when you have L and N reversed.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ xzv commented ·

You already mentioned it yourself -> VDE-AR-N 4105

With the German gridcode the NS-protection is not allowed to connect if L and N reversed.

For the MultiPlus it's not a problem.
It's a safety issue if you break N instead of L.
Normally if you flip the breaker to switch off a circuit you can safely work on the wiring. If L and N reversed and the breaker disconnects the N you still have the live L on the wires -> you can get shocked if you touch the wires.

0 Likes 0 ·
xzv avatar image xzv Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Thanks for the explanation so far. But how is it that my balcony power stations (with storage) can simply be connected to the power grid via a Schuko and I don't have to pay attention to the polarity?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ xzv commented ·
No.

When inverting the ground and neutral are bonded for your switch gear to work correctly

When connected to grid you want your ground and neutral to be bonded. If now the neutral is connected to live, the switch gear will not work correctly.

You will be switching neutral and live will still be well live....

0 Likes 0 ·
Fideri avatar image Fideri Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Alexandra Will you then not be bonding live and ground instead of neutral and ground with potentially catastrophic consequences? I don't plan on doing this BTW.

Fideri

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Fideri commented ·

@Fideri Correct. That is what happens when the wiring is switched over.

Live ends up going where it should not. With no way to disconnect it since it is unusual for neutral to be switched as well in normal circuits.in a home.

Hence the answer starts with no. It is not ok to switch line and neutral on an inverter.

1 Like 1 ·