Smart MPPT Solar charger

Orion TR Smart - isolated 12V to 24V converter

100A Smart battery protect

Cerbo GX

5" Touchscreen

VE Bus BMS

VE Bus mains detect

[Edited] 200A Smart current shunt

Issue I have is with charging. Looking through the various Victron schematics examples are given where the Smart MPPT (solar charger) and Orion TR Smart outputs are taken through a 100A or 65A Smart battery protect which in turn is controlled by the 'charge' output of the VE Bus BMS. Now victron appear to specifically state that the Smart MPPT should not be disconnected from its load if the solar panels are providing an output this appears in contridiction?

Other examples show the Orion TR Smart controlled using an isolated TR Smart control cable connected along with the Multiplus to the 'charge' connection of the VE Bus BMS - I can undestand that. However the Smart MPPT then is shown sometime through the 100A or 65A Smart battery protect or on others with nothing at all for physical disconnection.

I would have thought that the VE Bus BMS would have monitored the 2 batteries and then down VE Bus communicated with the Cerbo GX which in turn would have controlled the Smart MPPT solar charger and also the Multiplus. Leaving the Orion TR Smart controlled by the isolated TR smart control cable (why does the TR Smart not have VE connection?)

Finally the 'load disconnect' from the VE Bus BMS is shown connected to the 'load disconnect' on the 100A smart battery protect, for vehicle equipment and also to the multiplus. Some schematics show the multiplus without either the 'load' or 'charge' disconnect wired.

Am I missing the point here because there seems to be multiple options here for combinations but question is which one is correct?

Any ideas would be appreciated as I have no idea..........................

installation
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jack2006 avatar image jack2006 commented ·

Missed this, also have a 200A Smart current shunt

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ jack2006 commented ·
Do you have the old (black) BMS or the new one (black/blue)?
0 Likes 0 ·
jack2006 avatar image jack2006 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
The old black one which I think was MK1?

I would have thought it would show in the display but does not although with networ cable plugged in its front panel led goes blue so assume conected.

Checked the settings for the solar chaarger again in the display and it states that it is not connected to a BMS. There is no option in the menu to allow it to connect.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic