question

David avatar image
David asked

CCGX Victron 3G Modem

Hi Guy and Victron team.

I've had an installer ask if he can use a 'GSM module' (and if we can recommend one) with the CCGX for VRM connectivity. I understand the Victron price list has a GX GSM device available in December 2018. Should I email him this news and a price plus the link to CCGX manual sections 1.6.3 and 1.6.4 and say if he wants to test other GSM devices out before the Victron unit is available then that it's at his own risk?

Thanks again
David - DPA Solar

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi David, other gsm modules don’t work. Routers will.

I’d recommend him to wait for the GX GSM. It’s coming real soon; no risk of long delays. It will be a much better solution than adding a router; unless you want to use the router for providing internet to other devices, besides the CCGX, as well.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi David,

A workable solution in Australia is the CCGX wifi module and a Telstra 4GX wifi dongle. You will need a way to power it via USB, such as the blue extension dongle that comes with the CCGX.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/telstra-pre-paid-4g-usb-wi-fi-plus

Ultimately the GX GSM will be the most efficient, reliable and well supported solution. Though it is 3G, and the coverage varies compared to the 700 MHz 4GX.

Regarding the best plans - EDITED - see the discussions from other contributors for what is working well.

2 |3000

David avatar image
David answered ·

Thanks chaps, Much appreciated

2 |3000

Sean avatar image
Sean answered ·

Hi All,

Regarding using the Victron GX GSM over the Telstra network - I am experiencing issues/difficulty using any Telstra SIM as I understand that Telstra operates on 850Mhz band (see screenshot below), and the GX GSM modem doesn't support this band as per the manual (800/900/1800/1900/2100 MHz).

Am I correct that Telstra SIMs/network providers won't work with the GX GSM? And if so, does anyone have an alternative data-only SIM on another network in Australia that will work with the GX GSM (Eg. Vodafone/Optus) and isn't a personal type phone/data plan?

2 |3000

robert-kogler avatar image
robert-kogler answered ·

Hi Sean,

I also had big difficulties with using Telstra sim cards for GX GSM, but have now tried with Optus network SIM card of Souther Phone and it now works. (after failing with 3 different SIM cards using the Telstra network)

At SouthernPhone card I had to change APN setting (on CCGX) from default to: yesinternet

good luck, let us know if someone gets telstra sim card going

2 |3000

John Rushworth avatar image
John Rushworth answered ·

If needing a router as opposed to our new module, I’ve been using this for 3 years. Super reliable, auto reconnect and takes the SIM directly in the back of the unit. Power supply is 230V to 12V, so it’s easy to just use 12V in many applications.

https://eu.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dwr-921-4g-lte-router

2 |3000

David avatar image
David answered ·

Hi other ozzie Victron GSM module users

A customer of DPA has spent lots of time trying to get the GSM working with a Telstra Sim without any luck. I should have read the above string with more detail. Ive sent the customer a Telstra 4GX unit and Wifi Nano as they dont have good Optus coverage, only Telstra. Keen to get any other feedback. Our local Victron chap is looking into it for us.

Thanks for your help above from January. This has really helped

David / DPA

2 |3000