question

pennysr avatar image
pennysr asked

Parasitic Draw - Victron Battery Protect?

Curious, would a battery protect from Victron help with a parasitic draw? At least prevent it from getting too low to become a problem?

I was watching a video on it and there are presets but the highest voltage on the 12v presets was 12v and at 12v, a battery is basically dead. Is that accurate? Or is it dumbed down for people that don't know 12v is extremely low?

I have a stereo system on a vehicle that doesn't come with one, I have a 24/12 converter that doesn't have a remote on/off so I just put a disconnect switch on the negative, it turns off the radio but somehow my battery still drains after a week or two, the batteries are fine.

Any advice?

Thanks

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

With the Smart BatteryProtect you can setup the thresholds freely but the device itself also has a small current draw.

Do you have the disconnect switch before the radio or before the converter?
The converter will also have a small current draw even if there is nothing connected to it..

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pennysr avatar image pennysr commented ·
I have a cutoff switch on the negative side before the converter, I was told thats better because of no sparking. When I flip the switch, all the electronics go off but this only seemed to be happening since I installed the converter.

Does it matter if the negative is connected to the battery vs the vehicles shunt?

0 Likes 0 ·