question

romantik avatar image
romantik asked

Motorhome MultiPlusII setup

Hi

I'm thinking about the MultiPlusII setup for a Motorhome and have questions.

- Do I need to setup a grid country?

since I will never feed power into grid.

- I remember on a normal grid system you are not allowed to mix up L and N. For a motorhome I can not always guarantee where L and N is at the campgrounds in Europe when I connect it. how do I make sure the motorhome MultiPlusII does not care?

Last one

I have 2 MultiPlusII in parallel. one can be connected via ve.bus, the second one not. (even with single connection it does not show up. not with MK3, not via cerbo) can I get it somehow to factory default?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
2mas avatar image
2mas answered ·

No Grid code is only for ESS not motorhoms :-)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

To run Multis in parallel, they need to be connected to a common battery bank and a VE.Bus cable connected between them. You also must program them for parallel operation. Cable lengths must be matched between the two units. Victron has pretty good documentation on the requirements.

A swapped L and N won't hurt the Multis and typically won't harm devices down stream of it. However it is an unsafe condition. Fuses a circuit breakers are typically installed in the hot side of the circuit and will trip if there is a fault. The neutral conductors don't typically have current limiting devices so if the neutral is actually the hot conductor, a short to safety ground will not be current limited!

RVs in the US often use a two pole breaker on the shore power input. Plus there is also a "Reverse Polarity" indicator which can be checked before closing the shore power breaker. Some shore power breakers will also trip if L and N are reversed. The double-pole shore power breaker won't protect branch circuits from reversed polarity.

You might need to install a polarity switch on the shore power input to correct a reversed polarity condition if it's common.

Another way to make a revised polarity condition safe is to use dual pole breakers for all branch circuits. That way the neutral conductor is also current limited.

2 |3000