question

jason-t avatar image
jason-t asked

Orion XS 12/12-50 run in parallel with Orion 12/12-18?

I have an Orion XS 12/12-50 on order and I have been told by my supplier that the delivery date to the UK has slipped back into February and maybe beyond :-( I need to start the install of my Lithium batteries onto my boat this month and I was thinking of buying another Orion 12 12-18 to get the system up and running and then swap it for the bigger unit when it arrives. However I then started thinking could I leave it in place and run them in parallel in the final install? would it matter if they are different outputs?

Any advice would be appreciated.

FYI I have a 60amp Victron Centaur mains charger, a 100amp Balmar smart alternator, 460amps of lithium batteries, 75amp engine lead acid start battery & 150amp bow thruster lead acid batteries, 150W of solar with a Victron 15 amp Mppt.

orion-tr smartorion xs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Multiple concurrent parallel charge sources can always be connected to a battery bank with no issues, yes, so long as

1. You do not exceed the battery bank's maximum recommended charge rate, and

2. All charge sources are programmed identically (ie same bulk/absorb voltage, etc.)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jason-t avatar image
jason-t answered ·

Hi Justin, many thanks for your help.

1 comment
2 |3000

aquabelle avatar image aquabelle commented ·

To piggy-back on the original question: is it also true that, when operated in Power Supply mode, two different Orions with the same input and output voltages but different output current capabilities, can be cabled in parallel?

0 Likes 0 ·