question

solozabal avatar image
solozabal asked

Orion DC/DC 12/24-15 connect with boat elecrtic circle

Hi
I have a question
I have two batteries on board that are connected through Cyrix and Victron MPPT to the solar panel. One is the engine battery, and the other is the service battery, and everything has been working perfectly for many years. Now, I would like to install a 24-volt LiFePO4 battery for the trolling motor, which also operates on 24 volts. I'm curious if, by connecting the ORIOn DC/DC 12/24-15, when I turn off the engine, the solar panel will continue to charge the 24-volt battery if both 12-volt batteries are fully charged.I know that the Orion has the option to shut down after the engine is turned off. However, I would disable that option so that it never turns off, specifically to allow continued solar charging 24volt battery.
Is anyone have any experience with such or a similar connection setup?

I will put a diagram of the current setup.

image.png

And the diagram how will connecting the DC/DC to the existing installation.
image (1).png

If you have any advice or opinions, please feel free to share. I would appreciate it.

Best regards

victron community
image.png (22.3 KiB)
image-1.png (65.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The MPPT is not engine aware and will charge continuously as long as there is sufficient light and the battery/loads draw power from it.

Battery settings should be identical on the MPPT and Orion.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

solozabal avatar image
solozabal answered ·

Thank you for the quick response.

So, if I understand correctly, when the solar panel charges the engine and service batteries while the boat is in a stationary state, it will continue to charge through this configuration I have drawn, the 24-volt battery, as long as there is sunlight.
That would be great because while the boat is stationary for a few days, the batteries will charge, and they will be ready when I require them. Since Orion won't be able to charge a 100AH battery in an hour or two while I'm on my way to the destination.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic