question

h2009 avatar image
h2009 asked

Zip tap (water boiler) causes lights to flicker - any solution?

Hi there

So I’ve got a problem which is causing my lights to flicker on what phase they are on and my Zip water heater is connected too.

I have 3 phase UK (3x MP2 10kva) with oversized DC cables. At all perfect lengths and calculations.

Interesting the lights only flicker when the zip tap is micro switching (ie minor warm up or chilling). Under full load the lights don’t flicker.

Soon as the zip tap is switched off, the lights stop flickering. I’m having no other issues with all my big load items.

I do have Zip engineers coming out but not sure they will do anything. So assuming they don’t replace my unit, can anyone recommend a solution to isolate this appliance from the rest of the house?

I’m kinda looking for a compact 1:1 isolation transformer I believe but I could be wrong?

Would a 500watt UPS work to isolate the power (noting appliance max draw is 13amps) ?

Thanks.

voltageAutotransformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

It could be the Zip heater controller electronics if it has a SCR controllered heater circuit that can casue the issue with the victron inverters. It is known certian DC controlled loads can cause this issues.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

h2009 avatar image
h2009 answered ·

thanks for the input.

What is the solution for this or a work around.

Thanks.

1 comment
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·
Hi

Not realy as its a low frequency inverter design, its prone to this. you can tried running a resistve load to off set the zip heater issue can help a little bit.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
h2009 avatar image
h2009 answered ·

morning

Do you mean resistive load on the same power outlet as the zip heater?

My general loads of the MP3, are always 3kw (base line); which has no affect on the flickering.

1 comment
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·
Hi

Yes if on the same phase , as being a 3 phase system, some other loads might be on different loads.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
k-k avatar image
k-k answered ·

Just use a dedicated inverter for the zip tap.

2 |3000

Related Resources