question

adventuress avatar image
adventuress asked

DC Wiring for IP43 3/50 Charger input

We have a 96v nominal battery - 280ah that we would like to use as an input to our ip43 charger to charge our house 12v battery system.

How do you wire the input lead on the IP43? We’ve looked everywhere but cannot find a diagram of how this should be set up?

Phoenix Smart Charger ip43
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@adventuress

The IP43 is an AC (mains) to DC (battery) charger not a battery to battery charger.

I might be misunderstanding what you are trying to do, can you explain more.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

adventuress avatar image adventuress commented ·

I have a 96v battery for my propulsion system on my sailboat, connected to a charge controller and 3 410w solar panels in series. I want to be able to move the charge from this battery to my house system at 12v so we have a reserve to operate with. It doesn’t need to go the other direction.

Simon Ytterbom, the Victron NA Sales Manager recommended we use the IP43 instead of using a smart solar charge controller. So now we’re trying to wire it up, and we’re not getting any lights on the device.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

@Alexandra

The IP43 Phoenix Charger can also handle DC on the input. ;)

290-355V DC for the 230V model and 90-375V DC for the 120-240V model.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Smart-IP43-Charger-120-240V-EN.pdf

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Smart-IP43-Charger-230V-EN.pdf

@adventuress for the INPUT there is only the IEC connector.

3 comments
2 |3000

adventuress avatar image adventuress commented ·
Yes. I can read the specifications too. That’s why we bought the device.

How do you wire the connector? Hot goes where? Neutral goes where? Ground goes where?

That’s the question we have.

it’s 3 wires into 2.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Ah and so I have learned something today. That's @Matthias Lange - DE and @adventuress

Have a look at the example system schematics on the product page

0 Likes 0 ·
adventuress avatar image adventuress Alexandra ♦ commented ·
That shows an AC supply to the charger, in the form of an AC cord.

I need to know how to wire it with a DC supply. Specifically where the hot, neutral and ground go when I have a positive and negative on the DC side only.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic