question

budrunner avatar image
budrunner asked

MPPT, Ekrano GX & BMV 712 Smart Connections

I would like to ensure that I am making the proper connections for my newly installed solar panels. Nothing has been powered on yet. The Victron installation is for my CSY 44' sailboat. I have both a MPPT 75/15 and MPPT 100/30 for my 3 solar panels, two BMV 712 Smart displays (one for house and the other for starter battery monitoring) and an Ekrano GX.

I have currently connected each BMV 712 to their respective shunts via the RJ12 UTP cable and each of the BMV 712 VE.Direct ports to two of the three Ekrano VE.Direct ports. I believe this will allow me to monitor voltage/amperage flow for the house bank and starter battery from both the BMV 712 and Ekrano GX displays.

My question involves how to separately monitor the solar panel output. Should I connect one of the MPPT units to the third available Ekrano GX VE.Direct ports and the second MPPT unit to one of the two Ekrano GX Host Ports?

Hope that this is not too basic a question for the forum, but I am working off of the associated installation manuals and could use some guidance. Thank you.

ekrano gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

You connect the additional MPPT VE Direct port the the Ekrano USB port using a VE direct to USB cable,

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/ve-direct-to-usb-interface

as per page 11 of the Ekrano manual.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

A VE.Direct to USB interface will be required to connect VE.Direct devices to the USB ports on the Ekrano. Which device is much a matter of preference with consideration being given to the location and distances as the interface cable is only one length 1.8m whereas VE.direct cables can be up to 10m.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Following on from the previous suggestions, if needed use a usb hub between the Ekrano and MPPTs.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Ekrano GX product page.

Ekrano GX online manual

Ekrano GX datasheet

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic