question

bencornish avatar image
bencornish asked

Multiplus 2 and Fronius flickering lights

Hi all,

I have a fronius primo 5kva with 4kw of solar in a microgrid with a Multiplus 2 5000/48

Configured with ess completely off grid.. 3200 amp hour of battery..

I’ve followed the factor 1:1 / read all the posts and followed the setup guides to the T

Running latest firmware in my multiplus and 32070 on my Fronius.

When the battery is nearly full and ac load is over 3kva there is flickering..

I’ve read through heaps of posts and tried many different versions of the Fronius firmware - all same results

Help

Multiplus-IIFroniusmicrogrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

You are in micro grid mode with the Fronius? also have you added a longer andsmaller mm2 cable to increase the impedance., between the Victron and Fronius?

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bencornish avatar image bencornish commented ·
Yep Fronius is in mg50 mode

I haven’t read anything about a longer and small mm cable ?? Could you explain ?

Both Fronius and the Victron are wired to a switchboard - 2meter cable runs of 4mm2 cable

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie bencornish commented ·
In the early days of the Fronius micro grid issues with Victron, it not always help

but we had to put at least a 10 meter cable mains cable between the inverters.

Are you using lead acid or lithium batteries?

0 Likes 0 ·
smueff1970 avatar image smueff1970 Rob Duthie commented ·
Which smaller mm2 cable have you used for which power? i using 6mm2 for a SYMO 15. length is about 3 meters. i think i can switch to 4mm2 and can put some meters in the cable tray.
0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie bencornish commented ·
In the earler days it needed inmpednace to help stop the the flicker, but not always help, so a down graded software did help, there new firmware did not help either, so changed changed to Sungrow to seems to work much better.
0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

I have 2940Ah of SOPzS Batteries and when I connected my Fronius Primo 8.2-1 (limited to an output of 4kW) with 8610Wh of solarpanels I had the same issue.

Since I run usually only loads of 900W (circulation pumps) constant and then only the 240l fridge and if needed, the 2000W baking oven of one of my two 2000W Induction Cooking Plates, the problem mostly occured, when the Battery is nearly full and the MultiPlus-II goes into frequency shifting to reduce the output of the Fronius AND THEN a load Fridge/Oven/Induction is switching on which result in a Voltage drop at the Battery and the MultiPlus-II try to compensate.

I have lowered the value of the SOC where the batteried are considered full and also changed the settings, when to RE-Bulk the batteries.

The flickering on the MultiPlus-II is probably because of the switching between Absorbtion and Bulk charging.

2 |3000