question

vinsurge avatar image
vinsurge asked

Amp Hour recommendations on 3k Multiplus

I see the recommended AH on the Victron Multiplus 12/3000 120-50 120V is 400ah for 12v set ups.

I'd like to try 270ah to start and upgrade to 540ah down the road. What are the risks involved with only having 270ah battery bank instead of the recommended 400ah?

Multiplus-IILithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Lithium or lead?

A 3kVA MultiPlus can deliver 2400W continuously, at 12V that's 200A.
It also can deliver 6000W for a sort peak, that's 500A!

Your battery also should be able to deliver that current. You need to look in to the datasheets.

e.g. the 200Ah Victron Smart Lithium battery has a recommended continuous current of 200A and a max. continuous of 400A.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vinsurge avatar image vinsurge commented ·
Thanks for the response. Currently it's a 270AH lithium battery.
0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Assuming lead acid batteries, the rate of discharge from the batteries is higher which results in a shorter battery life, less capacity available (look up peukert effect), the voltage under load drops to a lower value so for a given ac power the DC current is higher causing more heating and lower efficiency in the inverter, also drawing the batteries down even faster. The inverter may well stop working on low DC voltage alarm prematurely. As a stop gap, if you limited your power draw to less that 2000VA (1600W) until you get your extra batteries then you would be prorating your output to your smaller battery bank.

If the batteries are lithium then some of the above may not apply, but the discharge limits of the battery cells and BMS would need to be checked.

1 comment
2 |3000

vinsurge avatar image vinsurge commented ·
Thanks for the info! I will look in to that. The battery I'm using is lithium.
0 Likes 0 ·