question

golf18 avatar image
golf18 asked

I have a Multiplus-ii 48 5000 70 50 when turned off the mains turns off

I am in the UK and the the above inverter was installed to charge a battery, but if I turn off the inverter the mains supply to the house is disconnected. Is there a setting that will stop this happening. My gateway is a Cerbo GX.

any help appreciated

Multiplus-IIwiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

I turn off the inverter the mains supply to the house is disconnected.

your mains supply to the house has been wired to AC out 1and as you have found out switch off the inverter disconnects supply to AC out 1

how are you switch off the inverter by soft ware i.e. VRM or remote Console or the switch on multiplus ?

Is there a setting that will stop this happening ?

yes ON in vrm or remote Console under multiplus-II in device list or the switch on multiplus II The middle position of the switch is the OFF position- The 1 position of the switch is the on position- The 2 position of the switch is the charger only position.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

@Golf18

See my full post below.

In general best to leave multiplus on. It will maintain the battery fully charged.

As you have a Cerbo, use the VRM dashboard controls for the multiplus. These override the mechanical switch. In the top right is a little icon that resembles switches. Selecting this brings up a menu which allows you to control the multiplus. On, inverter only, charger only, off. Best leave this in the on position.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Did you also ask the installer to provide standby power? There's little reason to just use the multiplus (which is an inverter/charger) for simply charging a battery.

If installed for standby power, there are a few options, installation dependant.

1. House mains is completely wired to the output(s) of the multiplus. As @mjs500 said, turning the multiplus off, will disconnect the house. When ON an internal transfer switch will transfer the mains supply in the house from external mains to inverter mains from batteries.
  2. Split the house wiring into essential and non essential loads. Essential will be powered by battery if mains fails, non essential will fail with the mains. This means significant changes to the house wiring, with a second distribution board (consumer unit).

In no case can the output from the multiplus be connected to the incoming mains. Incoming mains must go to the input side of the multiplus.

You need to check how the installer has set things up. Sounds like you're in the first method.

2 |3000

mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

my apologies for one line in my answer as you are one of meany being left by solar Installers with no instruction of how to run the system day to day

2 |3000

golf18 avatar image
golf18 answered ·

Thanks for your help much appreciated and yes left without any support from the installer. I am slowly learning about the system. I will probably add solar panels to top up the battery during the day, so here is what I think I need. a 2kW solar panels which I think can connect straight into the multiplus not sure if I need another control unit.

Thanks again very helpful

2 comments
2 |3000

lee-taylor avatar image lee-taylor commented ·

You will need some form or solar charge controller to take the panel output and convert it to the 48V your batteries require.

There is more information here... https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers

I would try and get more than 2kW installed if you can. 2kW wont generate much in the winter.

0 Likes 0 ·
lee-taylor avatar image lee-taylor lee-taylor commented ·

I should qualify that. If you have an inverter that has built in solar charge controller like this then you can connect the panels to it. https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/easysolar-ii-gx

0 Likes 0 ·