question

brewgyver avatar image
brewgyver asked

VE.Bus system: Is Operating Switch function in Cerbo still disabled?

I have a system which includes VE.Bus V2 and Cerbo GX. Attempting to switch the Multiplus operating mode results in a pop up stating that the function is disabled in VE.Bus systems. When I asked about installing the Digital Multi Control to get around this, my dealer, a well-respected expert in the field, advised me that updating the firmware should allow this function. Is that true? This issue is discussed many times here, but all over three years ago...

multiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

The VE.Bus BMS V2 enables switching from a GX device, but does require a minimum FW version xxxxx489 to be installed in the inverter/charger, and minimum Venus OS 2.80 installed on the GX device, as per section 3 of the manual

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

brewgyver avatar image
brewgyver answered ·

Multi FW version is 502, and Cerbo FW just updated to 3.13. Still shows switching disabled. I bought a VE.Bus Smart Dongle to plug into the Multi, but that's not possible with bot the GX and Mains Detector plugged in. I realize I could probably make this work by disco-ing the Mains Detector, plugging in the dongle when needed. But the sole purpose I got the dongle is for remote switching, as the Multi is below the cabin sole in the boat, and if I have to pull up the floor, I can simply use the front panel operating switch.

So, this is becoming a Catch 22. Not to mention what a PITA it is to update the FW on the Multi. I did it successfully over a year ago, but didn't document all the hoops I had to jump through to get it done. The VRM FW Update steps remind me that the RJ45 on the VE.Bus BMS has to be temporailly disco-ed, but that cuts power to the Cerbo, and of course the update fails Ugh!!!

1 comment
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
The schematics and manuals show the Cerbo connected to the remote panel connection on the VEBus BMS V2 and the mains detector connected between the Multi connection on the BMS and the Multiplus. I have no idea if this will make a change but I suggest you connect the Cerbo direct to the BMS per the manual to see if it makes a difference.
1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic