question

Zoltán Vaczulin avatar image
Zoltán Vaczulin asked

Multi RS maximum battery unreal values are recorded

Képernyőkép 2023-12-09 000431.pngkepernyokep-2023-12-09-000431.png

I have a Multi RS Solar II inverter, and it recorded unreal values during a battery full-discharge situation. The battery is LiFePO4 48V Vmax << 646.59V!

Does it use these numbers for any calculations?

Can I reset it without a factory reset?

48v batteryinverter rs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Zoltán Vaczulin,

These numbers are not used for any calculations, they are just a record.

It is possible to see spikes like this when batteries are disconnected, but they should get filtered out.

There is no way to individually reset these values, but I will pass on your experience to the RS R&D team.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Zoltán Vaczulin

A fix for this has just been added to the latest beta firmware - https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/249458/rs-shade-performance-testing-v116-beta-02.html

It will included in the next firmware update. Thanks again for reporting.

2 |3000

manta avatar image
manta answered ·

Could it be the BMS is disconnecting? That could result i a sudden spike on a multiplus, ive seen that when measuring under high load? If yes you should change your parameters in the RS and the BMS. So the BMS stay's an active second barrier when something goes wrong, but the RS is the first barrier in controlling.

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Manta, good troubleshooting and it was my first thought too, but in this case there was an underlying bug that caused an incorrect (impossible) reading, even if the battery disconnect was the cause of a spike.
1 Like 1 ·
manta avatar image manta Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks, i am currently learning a lot about Victron products. Measured spikes when a bms of a (not software connected, only smartshunt) lifepo4 battery had a cell overvoltage issue due inblanace so i ended up using a inrush current meter to check and i saw a significant voltage spike when the BMS abruptly disconnected the battery under load. I think this is a little bit in the nature of a large torroidal.

(At least I think) Now I always suggest use a connected BMS, it will extend the overal life of all the components for sure.

Anyway, I would really like to attend for a course, i saw the Victron professional membership and have become member.

Can you help me with that. Since i rolled into troubleshooting on some Yachts, and i have build a ESS setup at home. So without any intentions i am becoming a trouble shooter, people start calling me, since i am am always determined to get to the bottom of the issue, even if its going to take me a lot of time. (Sorry went offtopic there)

0 Likes 0 ·
Zoltán Vaczulin avatar image Zoltán Vaczulin manta commented ·
Yes, a big busy toroidal can generate high voltages if leave it alone suddenly, but how can you measure it on the DC side?

If the DC elements are designed below 60V, can it demage anything?

Similar situation can happen when a fuse blows suddenly between the battery and the inverter...

0 Likes 0 ·
Zoltán Vaczulin avatar image
Zoltán Vaczulin answered ·

Yes, of course, the battery was running out of energy, but I'm sure, that the voltage has never reached 60V, but it recorded 646V - ten times bigger. A BMS itself physically unable to provide such high terminal voltage. There are tools in hw or sw to make the measurements more reliable.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic