question

mggardner avatar image
mggardner asked

bmv-712 won't zero even after ZEROing

I've had the 712 in my system for several years, working fine. a month or two ago, I noticed the charging current never went to zero. I finally got around to zeroing it - turned off inverter/charger, disconnected power, turned off solar, shut off main batter switch (I know some is redundant), and have a B to B between house and chassis that is off. I zero the bmv (item 9) more than once. Go right to bmv current and it shows 14 amps charging. I've also done a factory reset on the bmv - no difference. Time for a new BMV?

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@mggardner

Did you physically remove all wires from the load side of the shunt and then in Victron connect app use the zero current calibration option at the bottom?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mggardner avatar image
mggardner answered ·

Physically remove; nope. There is a single cable coming off the battery bank, through a heavy disconnect switch. I verified there was no power to anything in coach. DC power meter arrives tomorrow, just to verify no gremlin snuck in a connection. 14 amps would be a lot.

2 |3000

mggardner avatar image
mggardner answered ·

One more data point. I couldn't shut the coach down this evening, but I put my DC clamp meter on the main wire and it read 1.3 amps. The 712 read 13 - seems kind of odd, but possible. sometimes segments in the display don't work right, seems like something is not well inside. Perhaps time to just get a new bmv.

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@mggardner

Have you tried using the app?

1.3 and 13 are just a decimal that may be missing.

0 Likes 0 ·
mggardner avatar image mggardner Alexandra ♦ commented ·
I have color g. And app, so I don’t use display much, so I ignored those issues. If I replace I’ll just get the smart hunt.
0 Likes 0 ·