question

johnstrat64 avatar image
johnstrat64 asked

new setup

HI Guys and Gals i have a caravan and want to install some solar, l can fit five 200watt 19.8v max panels, with 4 120a lithium batteries and a 150/70 MMPT smart solar, should i wire them in series or parallel? l only have a 6mm cable from the roof of the van to where the switchboard is and it will be a hard job to upgrade this.

any advice is appreciated.

installation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

This is where the MPPT calculator can help.

https://www.victronenergy.com/mppt-calculator

Higher PV voltages are better but you have an odd number of panels and a low panel voltage.

You didn't state the battery voltage.

The MPPT only works at battery voltage +6V, so 19V panels aren't great for 12V systems and too small for 24V, unless in series, so that would be the best choice, just use the calc to make sure the mppt is happy.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johnstrat64 avatar image
johnstrat64 answered ·

battery voltage is 12v, the calculator suggests a 150/70

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I would put them in series, should be fine on 6mm PV cabling at the higher voltages.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic