question

josh1e avatar image
josh1e asked

using the smart battery protect between 2 batteries?

wiring diagram example.jpg Hi. i'm looking to replace my current dumb relay with a 200A smart batteryprotect. it's used in an automotive setup, so Alternator (charger) to main battery, then main battery via fuse to smartprotect & from smart protect to 2nd battery. The aim is to set the smartprotect to auto disconnect the 2nd battery if the primary battery falls below the set level, saving the primary battery from being depleted further (and / or allowing the alternator to charge the main battery to acceptable levels again if the car is running). There are high loads on the 2nd battery hence the 200A rating. now, the only thought i had was about reverse current. if the smartbattery protect is isolating the two batteries (and connected circuits) then there should be no reverse current flow?.. has anyone else used it in this kind of situation? A caravan / hgv or auxillary battery maybe? (both batteries are AGM) thanks in advance.

battery chargingBattery ProtectAGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@josh1e You cannot use a Smart Battery Protect for your proposed use.

The current must only flow in one direction with a SBP, and with your use the current can flow from the Aux battery to the Start battery, any time you start the engine, or if the start battery begins to discharge below the aux batt voltage. Current flowing backwards through a SBP will damage it, or leave you with 2 flat batteries.

You are better to use a Cyrix-ct-230 or Argofet battery isolator .

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Victron BatteryProtect product page