question

Drew avatar image
Drew asked

battery cables multiplus II newbie question

hello all,

Beginning to refit the electrical on a sailboat. Multiplus II 12/3000/120-50 to two battery banks. Reading the manual where it states
0-5 m*** 2x AWG 1/0
5-10m*** 2x AWG 2/0

1. So this is meters but is it round trip or just from the multiplus to the battery boxes.

2. If one battery box is under 5 meters away and the other is further than 5 meters, do I run 1/0 to the closest battery box and then 2/0 from that box to the second one?

Thank you for your time!

Drew

battery connection
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@svblackbird

Your batteries need to be together. They are one bank. You cannot have two banks running one inverter.

The distance is round trip.

If they cannot be together, then the cable length from both needs to be equal for good current sharing between the two. It is also important for charging (volt drop over length and a bunch of other things). This is particularly critical since you are running 12v. That is alot of amps.

The easiest way is take them both to a bus bar to combine them and run to the inverter from there.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Drew avatar image Drew commented ·
Thank you!

Being a sailboat, it's impossible to keep all batteries in one location due to weight. I had the impression I could use battery balancers? The old inverter managed the two banks with no problem.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Drew commented ·
Battery balancers equalize voltage of batteries in SERIES. They would do nothing for parallel-connected batteries.

Long runs are problematic in general as Alexandra stated.

Your best bet (I think) is to find a location to join the two batteries and run equal length cables to each battery from there. Keep the cables as short as possible and oversize them. Then run cables from the joining location to the inverter.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic