question

Anders avatar image
Anders asked

+400V DC Multiplus and SmartSolar MPPT?

Living in Norway it's evident for me that sourcing of batteries for our solutions will be decommissioned batteries from Electric Vehicle (EV). This is already happening in Norway.

There are some issues with this. Modular batteries with singel cell or "12v, 24v or 48v" modules is favorable, but EV battery design is moving away from this. Soon a typical Tesla battery is one big modul of 400V - Not possible to rebuild.

If Victron create 400V DC devices we could use these batteries directly. Preferable using the already available BMS.

My wish for the futture!

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

I do not think, this is economic doable for Victron.

With the current development if new battery types, the fresh developed Victron Charger would be obsolete before it can be released.

However, there are already ready to use high voltage battety charging-inverter on the market. I have seen a US american promotional video on YouTube several month ago and they can use EV batteries from 240-440V.

You have only to find the video (not funny)

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Anders avatar image Anders commented ·

Bidirectional Charging (V2L, V2G, V2H)

The technology is already here.

The car industry obviously have already the 240V AC to 400V DC charger. Now they are starting to offer
V2L - Vehicle to Load
V2G - Vehicle to Grid
V2H - - Vehicle to Home

The tech under the bonnet is all "Multiplus" 400V

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Victron is working on a "Multi HS 19".

This will be a 15kVA 3-phase HV HF inverter/charger.

Battery voltage range will be 650-1000V.

2 comments
2 |3000

65nw avatar image 65nw commented ·

is there an mppt charger to go with that?

or is that built in?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ 65nw commented ·

That all I know right now:

1 Like 1 ·
Anders avatar image
Anders answered ·

Is the HS19 voltage Solar panel voltage or battery voltage?

2 |3000

65nw avatar image
65nw answered ·

I looked for a way to use model 3 packs but they are pretty oddball, the long range ones being of different cell count from inside modules to the outside ones (making a minimum of ~200v per string). This also makes them the cheapest packs as the reuse potential is limited (and cant be rewired internally due to epoxy fill).

I was going to use a SolArk system but the limited voltage range for LiFePO4 on that system led me to a victron system. Currently setting up six model S modules in 2S3P with simpBMS, which I trailered 3000 miles from California thru Canada this spring.

the multi hs 19 that @Matthias Lange - DE mentioned would be good for two full model 3 packs but ends up on the low end of that. It seems the system voltages are increasing non linear. 12, 48, 400(ev), 1000. I did not find anything except a call to order chineese inverter for 96 and 200v- its pretty sparse in between.

2 |3000

Anders avatar image
Anders answered ·

Nice to hear about your solution 65nw

I believe the most popular EV batteries in Norway to use are Tesla Model S, Nissan Leafs and VW e-UP. The two last having a single cell design. They are all plentiful. Both Tesla and Leafs have been around for more than 10 years - EV Adoption rate in Norway are high +85% of all new cars in 2023 are all electric (not hybrid)

There is an growing industry of EV conversion of classic cars - They do start to look into the V2G and V2L as well. This mean that there are manufacture's out there building 400V DC inverters as we speak. It's such a given thing when you start thinking about it. I am driving around with 85Kwh of battery pack on my EV - why not use it. And I do, via Victron Phoenix Inverter 12/1600 230V Smart. But that's a detour from 400V down to 12V and then up again to 230V AC - not very efficient.

Your experience 65nw with the model 3 batteries is what I also see. Hence - if these batteries are to be used in off grid or ESS soltions we need higher voltage inverters

400V EV's typically exist in different voltage levels. From low 350 to high 450V, and the growing 800V battery size. They are here already.

Victron - you have some work to do.

1 comment
2 |3000

65nw avatar image 65nw commented ·

Reider at Vero Electric (SimpBMS) was very helpful. reidermcfeely at veroelectric.com

Im not sure what other BMS's people are using for their EV packs but wanted to give Vero a plug. they also do automotive bms for conversion cars.

yes, the step up and down is a bummer. fine if you are using electric heat in your garage though :P

Im glad to hear victron is expanding up and with a very wide voltage range on the DC bus. That approach will capture many more batteries that are otherwise hard to reuse.

One other solution I thought about is to have your nomral main pack and then (a) secondary pack(s) of different makes or voltages, connected via a bidirectional DC-DC charger. this would let you add say model 3 packs to a lifepo4 system or something like that. It wouldnt be fast but would provide a constant 0.5 to 1kw (or whatever) charge to the main pack all night long.

1 Like 1 ·