question

pumba avatar image
pumba asked

High cell voltage Smart 150AH Lithium

Charging my new battery (recomended by dealer) with a Bluesmart IP65 12V/15A charger connected directly to battery, set to Lithium mode & 4A before installing it in my boat. Dealer says all is OK, just install the battery/BMS etc, dont worry...........any opinions about that advice. When charger switched off, 5 hours later the cell voltage is perfect 3.32 V on all cells & "Ready for use"

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I do not understand what your issue fully as the description is unclear.

However from your screen shot Cell one's voltage is too high compared to the others. KEEP this voltage under 4 volts , the internal BMS will slowly reduce that high voltage on cell one, then when its reduced to say 3.7 charge it again, and stop at 3.90v or when it turns the charging off

you may have to do this quite few times until that high cells voltage reduces and the other cells slowly increase. (this will take time), or just leave it connected to that charger and after a few days it will balance its self. as it will turn the battery on and off charging as needed.

All cells should end up at around 3.6v when every thing is in sync and the overall voltage is 14.4

the issue is that all 4 cells are NOT in balance voltage wise, once you get them into balance then you should be fine from then on.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pumba avatar image pumba commented ·

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply. My question is about it is normal that the cell can get so high, that the battery disable charging by itself?......Should i just let the charter continue charging with 4A and just let the battery (when it get out from "Busy" mode) take care of itself, until it eventually balance itself?

0 Likes 0 ·
kai avatar image kai ♦ pumba commented ·

It may be that the cells in the battery pack from the factory were not balanced to begin with. I'd go with Paul - let the balancing circuit work its magic while keeping an eye on it from time to time.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B pumba commented ·

Well Normal is a mute point,

Its a new battery and it should be balanced to start with hmm But its not,

So just watch it and its internal balancing system will correct it, I wont cause any harm as long as the internal BMS keeps working as it should, and the cell should nevery go over 4 volts

So keep a eye on it and over the new week or two it will balance it self out and you will have a great battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
james-ward avatar image james-ward Paul B commented ·

I've also got a 150ah that wont balance. Tried a couple of days on hook-up and it balances but then 2 days later at the next engine/geni charge it happens again

0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image bathnm james-ward commented ·

What firmware is running in the battery. Make sure it is at least 1.19. There was a change in this firmware release to fix some balancing issues.

0 Likes 0 ·
james-ward avatar image james-ward bathnm commented ·

yup, mine is v1.19
I'm just emailing the supplier re warranty claim but not sure if they'll talk to me as install was via a consultant engineer who I paid directly

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic