question

bbuster avatar image
bbuster asked

Temperature sense error

Since i have a MK3 usb dongle to show information about my MultiPlus Compact module i see a "Temperature sensor error" message every time i connect the USB cable. It just pops up once when connecting.

I do see a temperature sensor connected but for some reason it gives me the error. Can i measure if the sensor is faulty?

And if not, can i just buy any Victron Energy temperature sensor or does it need to be specific for the MultiPlus Compact?

The wire (temp sensor) was connected to the ground terminal of one of the 3 AGM batteries. I am going to order 2 LiTime 300Ah LiFePO4 batteries so i assume i need the temp sensor and connected to the ground terminal as well?

Update: Even after disconnecting the temp sensor i get the same error, and i also i think i need to connect it to the Positive connector (saw it in some manuals online)

Is the sensor bad?

Temperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

The only temperature sensor that you need to connect to the positive is the one the goes on a smartshunt or BMV shunt.

There are several different Victron temperature sensors and they are not interchangeable. Make sure you have the correct type for your device per the page below.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/temperature_sensors

The one for the Multiplus should be giving a small positive voltage at the terminals when connected to the Multiplus, mine is 2.8V at 9degC.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bbuster avatar image
bbuster answered ·

So it does need to be connected to ground?
I think it is factory installed so i assume it is the right sensor, but i can check tomorrow. Mine does look like the ASS000001000

And i need to measure on the MultiPlus -/+ connectors for the temp sensor right?

Not on the terminal itself?

3 comments
2 |3000

bbuster avatar image bbuster commented ·
After measuring the connectors i get 0v, so i assume it is broken?
0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell bbuster commented ·
The sensor should be connected to the Multiplus and you then measure on the terminal block to see a value. The sensor on its own does not generate a voltage.
0 Likes 0 ·
bbuster avatar image bbuster pwfarnell commented ·
I did measure it that way

I also checked resistance between the 2 wires (not connected to the multiplus) and measure 0 ohm. So i think it is broken

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor