question

bbuster avatar image
bbuster asked

Multiplus Compact module not turning on when DMC disconnected

I have a MultiPlus Compact 12 / 2000 / 80 which has a DMC connected. I want to change it to a Raspberry Pi GX and would like to be able to set the amperage and on/off state via the display. I can't do that because the DMC is connected so i disconnect the DMC and want to use only the Raspberry Pi. But when i disconnect the DMC, the MultiPlus module won't turn on. No lights turn on (also with the switch on the MultiPlus module set to On or Charger only.

What am i doing wrong?

Also i noticed the firmware version is 1908142 (142). With the VEFlash tool it said version 90.05.163 with a notice the latest available version is installed.

Does that mean i cannot update or i need to download a newer file manually?

multiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

25 Answers
bbuster avatar image
bbuster answered ·

I think i needed to change the first 2 dipswitches to 1: ON, 2: OFF

Now the Multiplus does turn on and i can connect to it with the Raspberry Pi. The only problem i have is that i cannot change it from "ON" to "Charging" and when i change the grid input limit from for example 16A to 10A, it doesn't change anything and resets to 16A immediately.

Is this normal?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gazza avatar image gazza commented ·
How have you connected the Pi to Multi? What cable?

0 Likes 0 ·
bbuster avatar image bbuster gazza commented ·
Ethernet cable to the MK3-USB dongle which is connected to the Raspberry Pi via a USB port
0 Likes 0 ·
gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

Can you see the Remote Console via the Pi on your local network and is it showing your Multi in the device list?

2 |3000

bbuster avatar image
bbuster answered ·

I can access the remote console, i have added the Pi to VRM.victronenergy.com and it is showing the MultiPlus as a connected device. I also can see battery percentages, Watts that are pulled from the grid etc, i just can't set the state (On, off, charge), or the grid amperage limit

2 |3000

gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

Ok, so if you go to VRM and select device list. There is a Firmware update button. First thing I would do is select that and make sure you have the latest firmware for your devices?
Then select the Settings> General from the left hand menus, there you will see a slider for "Inverter/charger control" make sure that is ON. Then in the Dashboard screen there is a square Icon top right with a couple of sliders, click that and you should have the controls you need??

2 |3000

bbuster avatar image
bbuster answered ·

schermafbeelding-2023-11-17-om-210922.png

I can't update it because i think the firmware is too old. I don't know to what version i can update (maybe via the VEFlash tool?)

I had setup the Inverter/charger control and i can see the controls, but clicking on the mode is not responding and if i change a different current limit value, it says "loading" but then is set to 16A again

schermafbeelding-2023-11-17-om-211031.png

2 |3000

gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

It does seem like a firmware issue, is yours a 230V or 120V version, small microprocessor or large micro?

2 |3000

bbuster avatar image
bbuster answered ·

230V

I have no idea if it is a small or large micro processor. Does a picture show it?

tempimagemo04up.gif

2 |3000

gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

Ok I think from your original firmware this looks like old(small) micro? Have a look at this:-
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/manual-VE.Bus-firmware-versions-explained-EN.pdf
You need to use VE Flash to upgrade to v209 I believe. Do check this yourself to make sure you are happy. (It is possible to brick your device) and by all means get a second opinion . The first 4 numbers of the new firmware need to be the same so 1908xxx so you are looking for 1908209
Have a look for the file here, you may need to create a (free) account if you don't have one:-
https://professional.victronenergy.com/downloads/firmware/

2 |3000

bbuster avatar image
bbuster answered ·

I read that file many times but i don't understand a lot of it. How do i read the firmware version and how do i know if i have the small micro controller.

I have a free account for the firmware but still, no idea how to know what firmware i need to download

What is the difference between Non-assistant or Assistant firmwares? I now have 142 installed but i can't find what type of firmware that is

2 |3000

gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

I think this is the starting point:-
Family groups

18 No VE.Bus

19 VE.Bus - old microprocessor, 230VAC

20 VE.Bus - old microprocessor, 120VAC

26 VE.Bus - new microprocessor, 230VAC

27 VE.Bus - new microprocessor, 120VAC

Your original firmware started with 19xxxxx

2 |3000

bbuster avatar image
bbuster answered ·

Okay, so 19 is my processor, 08 is the type, but then there are 2 options:

1908159 - Non-assistant

1908209 - Assistant

What does Non-assistant or Assistant mean?

2 |3000

gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

Assistants are extra pieces of software that you can add in with VEConfigure, you may or not need them? Your VRM page shows v209 as the latest available.?

2 |3000

bbuster avatar image
bbuster answered ·

I just noticed that so i will install 209 tomorrow. Let's hope i can set the inverter via the display then

1 comment
2 |3000

Good luck.
0 Likes 0 ·
gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

One other thought.... After you removed the DMC, and then through the Remote Console > Device list > Multiplus > Advanced > ... you should(could) try Redetect and Restart VE Bus system??

2 |3000

k-k avatar image
k-k answered ·

Without DMC is there a jumper missing?

2 |3000

bbuster avatar image
bbuster answered ·

What jumper?
I am going to update to version 1908209 now but before that i needed to make a settings backup via VEConfig. I did see the checkbox "overruled by remote" was checked. (General > Shore limit)

Does this need to be checked?

3 comments
2 |3000

bbuster avatar image bbuster commented ·

Hmmz, update is completed but still nothing happens when adjusting the Amperage. I now can connect via VictronConnect and i can enable settings, but all options are greyed out (disabled). I can click the amperage and assign another value but it stays on 16A (also clicking the "on" button doesn't do anything.

I get a message that not all feautures work on version 209 and i need to update to 415 (?, if i'm correct) but i don't think i can do that

schermafbeelding-2023-11-18-om-100855.png

0 Likes 0 ·
gazza avatar image gazza bbuster commented ·
If you now check the device list in VRM > Firmware does it now say you are all up to date?
0 Likes 0 ·
bbuster avatar image bbuster gazza commented ·
It shows that i am on v209 and latest is v209, so i assume it is the latest version.

I am not sure if i do something else wrong. If i set the first 2 dipswitches so that the DMC is able to change the state and amperage, it won't start without the DMC connected. If i reset them (the other way around), the MultiPlus dus turn on but i am not able to change the state

0 Likes 0 ·
gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

So, with the DMC dis-connected did you try Redetect and Restart VE Bus system?? (Remote Console > Device list > Multiplus > Advanced >)

2 |3000

bbuster avatar image
bbuster answered ·

I don't have it where you point at but for my it is as follow:

Menu > MultiPlus Compact 12/2000/80-30 > Advanced > Redetect VE.Bus system [Press to redetect]

Also i have Equalization (don't think i need to do anything here) or Restart VE.Bus system (which i also did).

I have redetected the bus system and it can connect (i do get a temperature sense error but has probably nothing to do with this).

After doing the redetect it does show me an "edit" arrow at the "Input current limit" field and i can change the value, but after clicking the "accept" icon, it doesn't do anything and shows 16.0 as value (even when i change it to any other value lower than 16)

1 comment
2 |3000

In the Multiplus device menu (through Remote Console) there is also an option to change AC input current... does that work?
0 Likes 0 ·
bbuster avatar image
bbuster answered ·

I don't think i have that

schermafbeelding-2023-11-18-om-103733.png

schermafbeelding-2023-11-18-om-103739.png

This is the MultiPlus menu list:

schermafbeelding-2023-11-18-om-103837.png

schermafbeelding-2023-11-18-om-103853.png

schermafbeelding-2023-11-18-om-103903.png

2 |3000

gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

Its there on the 3rd screen down "Input current limit"

1 comment
2 |3000

bbuster avatar image bbuster commented ·
No, clicking that gives me the left / right arrows to change the value (it is shown in the picture now)
0 Likes 0 ·
gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

I think it is time to use VE Configure and check all settings after firmware update. Make sure your battery charge settings are still as you wish? "overruled by remote" should be checked. In setting up VE Configure from scratch again there may be some further clue to what is going on.? (If it was me I would set all the DIP switches back to default, all OFF, and sort out the programming with VE Configure)

2 |3000

bbuster avatar image
bbuster answered ·

Thank you for your help but i discussed it with my dad and i think the best solution is to keep the DMC as well. (Install it in the garage close to the MultiPlus). If they are on a place with a different grid limit than 16A he can change it in the garage, but also if the Raspberry Pi doesn't start or has crashed or something he still can change the values or turn on / off the inverter

I don't think with all the dip-switches to off, he can use the screen and the DMC to both setup it right?

2 |3000

gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

The DIP switches 1 and 2 are only used for setting type of battery charge you require? So, they should at least be set for the type of batteries you have?
screenshot-2023-11-18-at-103936.png

2 |3000

bbuster avatar image
bbuster answered ·

In the manual it has different meanings:

schermafbeelding-2023-11-18-om-115241.png

https://www.victronenergy.nl/upload/documents/Manual-MultiPlus-Compact-2000-230V-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES.pdf

Here on page 21 and up

1 comment
2 |3000

Ahh interesting? I think I must have got the Multiplus (not compact?) Apologies for that.
0 Likes 0 ·
bbuster avatar image
bbuster answered ·

I do have the compact, but the file is also the "Manual-MultiPlus-Compact"

Sorry... i misread your message, but i think i will install both so my question is solved.

Thank you for all your help!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic