question

peregrines avatar image
peregrines asked

New EV Charging Station (NS) not Charging Car

Hi!

Today I installed my new Victron NS EV Charger. Unfortunately the charger is not recognized by my car (Kia Niro EV MY19 - 1 phase).
The charging starts and immediately stops right away.
It seems like the EV Charger is not providing any energy!
At the same time it does not give any error message.
I also did the firmware update and made sure it is recognized in VRM and did the manual CP Calibration.

Could somebody help me out what I am doing wrong?

Thank You!

ev charging station
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @peregrines

Does the EVCS recognise that a car is plugged in but just doesnt charge? Or is it not recognising that the cars plugged in at all?

If it's being detected but not charging. I'd first check there's nothing wrong with charging cable (no shorts between data pins or anything daft like that). I'd then double check the cars settings/app, just to make sure you're not hitting a limit. Some cars have a SoC when charging using AC power. Might be worth just checking that's not set.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

peregrines avatar image
peregrines answered ·

Thank You for your suggestions!
My car is working just fine with the same cable and settings on my other Charging Station (Go-E).

The Victron EV Charging Stations recognizes that there is a car connected. It also starts charging but after some seconds without any Power draw it states "Charged" and then stops charging alltogether :(

bildschirmfoto-2023-11-17-um-142750.pngbildschirmfoto-2023-11-17-um-142745.png

1 comment
2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·
That was my only idea sorry. I guessed maybe faulty cable ie communicating full when it wasn't.

Dont suppose you've got any node red flows turning it off?

0 Likes 0 ·
peregrines avatar image
peregrines answered ·

Today I found out that EVCS gives Modbus "Status 21".

So I reinstalled everything and checked every cable.

No success :(

Maybe my station is defective :(

bildschirmfoto-2023-11-17-um-141424.png

bildschirmfoto-2023-11-17-um-141526.png

2 |3000

peregrines avatar image
peregrines answered ·

bildschirmfoto-2023-11-18-um-163733.png

Also, I am wondering why does it state "Dynamic ESS" when I did not even activate Dynamic ESS yet?

2 comments
2 |3000

dennibu avatar image dennibu commented ·

Hast du schon einmal das Ladekabel am NS kalibriert?

0 Likes 0 ·
peregrines avatar image peregrines dennibu commented ·
Ja das habe ich schon mehrmals versucht. Hat leider auch nichts gebracht.
0 Likes 0 ·
peregrines avatar image
peregrines answered ·

Ok, I think I am going to return it then :(
I really spent enough time now ...

2 comments
2 |3000

sean-o-leary avatar image sean-o-leary commented ·
Did you end up returning it or did you find a solution I am experiencing the exact same issues with charger
0 Likes 0 ·
ozzy avatar image ozzy sean-o-leary commented ·
Same for me I have the exact same issue, did you resolve it?
0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Is it maybe worth checking the modbus registers. See if you can spot a change in register that corresponds with the behaviour. You then might be able to work out what's driving it.

I've tried searching "charged" in the evcs registers list see if there was an obvious one. I couldnt spot one but maybe monitoring them wil lead to a sign that's causing it.

2 |3000