question

kolfleading avatar image
kolfleading asked

EasySolar 12V external charging

Hi All,

I'm trying to build a backup solution for a somewhat unreliable grid.

I'm considering a 12V EasySolar with 4 x 250 W solar panels (wired as 2S2P) and a 12V / 200 Ah Gel battery.

But in winter time, I would like to be able to charge the backup battery from my car battery with the engine running (i.e. use the car alternator as a backup generator).

To prevent any conflicts, I'm thinking that I should just turn off the MPPT when connected to the car alternator.

Is there any simple way to automatically turn off the MPPT from an EasySolar 12/1600/70-16 MPPT 100/50?

Otherwise, I could connect a 12V high power relay to cut off the solar panels from the MPPT, but that just seems a bit overkill.

Many thanks in advance!

MPPT ControllersEasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Charging direct from your car alternator is probably not a very economical method of charging and the charge voltage/profile most probably won't be ideal for your gel battery.

In saying that there is no need to disconnect the MPPT when charging from another source, it can stay connected and they can charge together.

Personally I would recommend purchasing a suitable AC generator and use the AC charger portion of the inverter/charger to charge the battery instead. That will be much quicker, use less fuel and charge the battery with the correct charge voltage/profile.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.