question

mhart11 avatar image
mhart11 asked

Battery Time Remaining average limited to 12 minutes?

The Time Remaining is inaccurate because the calculation is limited to an average of 12 minutes maximum on the app or firmware of my SmartShunt. Is there a way to change this setting to more than 12 minutes? I have a 12 volt fridge that draws 5 amps when running but does not run every 12 minutes. If I check the app when it's not running, it will display 8 days remaining, but if I turn on the fridge, that goes right down to 3 days, then down to 2 days. None of these figures are accurate because of the short averaging time frame. If there is no getting around this, I would strongly suggest an update to provide more averaging options in the firmware or app. Thank you.

ip65
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@MHart11

Are you sure it is not displaying hours? I have never had mine drop to 12minutes when the fridge is on it usually displays hours. And I have it set to three minutes.

The 12 minutes is when it changes its averaging. 15 minutes is the average run time of a fridge once it is cold. If it runs once an hour it needs to be added into the SOC calculations since that is almost a 25% duty cycle and a significant use of battery.

A fridge can account for 1 to 1.5kwh of power a day. That is a significant load. On a 200AH battery that is over half.

Maybe share the rest of your settings, something else could be off?

Or voltage sag under load on the battery is contributing to a reading that is not right?

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mhart11 avatar image mhart11 commented ·

screenshot-20231116-145403.jpgscreenshot-20231116-144942.jpgscreenshot-20231116-145449.jpgThanks for your reply

It is not displaying 12 minutes.

The time remaining is displaying 10 days or 2 days depending on whether the 12v fridge is running when viewed.

I need to be able to adjust the time frame used to calculate the time remaining.

The adjustment only goes up to 12 minutes which is inadequate time to provide an accurate average, especially when you have a cycling load such as a 12 volt heater or refrigerator.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ mhart11 commented ·

@MHart11 It is probably best to set up your BMV properly for lithium batteries before your SOC drifts to far.

Have a look at the BMV youtube tutorial.

0 Likes 0 ·
mhart11 avatar image mhart11 klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Thanks, no lithium. I have 6 lead acid batteries and State of Charge displays accurately.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic