question

some-user avatar image
some-user asked

MPPT in ESS doesn't show ESS state

Hi,

I run a Quattro 8K in combination with MPPT 450/200 in an ESS setup (not DVCC controlled).

According to the ESS manual:

In ESS, the MPPT Solar Chargers will follow the charge curve as set in VEConfigure. The charge parameters configured in the MPPT Solar Chargers themselves are ignored in an ESS setup.

MPPT with VE.Can comm. port No special configuration is necessary. Make sure the Device instance is configured to 0 (the default). MPPTs in the VE.Can network configured to a different Device instance will not be managed by ESS.

Device instance is at 0:

1699699504143.png

But the status shows bulk (indicating its operating on its own):

1699699640404.png

Likewise in VictronConnect:

1699699708677.png

Any idea? Thx!

ess settings
1699699504143.png (91.9 KiB)
1699699640404.png (102.7 KiB)
1699699708677.png (170.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

It is always advisable to manually configure the solar charger regardless.

With DVCC off, yes, the MPPT should follow the charge curve from the inverter.

Not sure what you mean by "ESS state".

The charger will show the usual charging states (bulk etc) or if DVCC is enabled, external control.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

some-user avatar image
some-user answered ·

With "ESS state" I'm quoting the manual, page 15:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Energy_Storage_System/6292-ESS_design_and_installation_manual-pdf-en.pdf

The MPPT state - as shown on the CCGX to which it is connected - will show 'ESS'.The blue 'Bulk' light on the MPPT will be lit and occulting every four seconds to indicate that the MPPT is remotely controlled.

My MPPT doesn't follow the charge curve of the Quattro. They operate stand-alone. I have a working ESS system (with same charger settings in both devices) it works but it isn't optimal. The MPPT should follow the Quattro.

5 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
What version is your CCGX and Quattro running? Is the ESS assistant definitely loaded and visible via the GX settings?

Without ESS loaded and no DVCC then only the internal algos are used.

There have been changes to how state is displayed, so spelling error aside, the docs may be incorrect, or different for the RS since it does not have the conventional LED indicators.

The manual for the RS does not list "ESS" as a state.

0 Likes 0 ·
some-user avatar image some-user nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

1699706230909.png

Yes definitely loaded:

1699706351882.png

1699707022147.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1699706230909.png (132.5 KiB)
1699707022147.png (115.9 KiB)
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ some-user commented ·

Apart from the state display (which may be expected for the RS), how do you know it is not following the charger algo of the inverter?

Generally ESS will keep the charger in bulk to supply loads by day since you want it running at near full power, load dependant.

1 Like 1 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

ESS keeps the mppt in bulk during the day to cover loads, it's now not just a battery charger. This now has nothing to do with DVCC but ESS. So as far as I can see the mppt is doing its job.

Also 110A from an mppt is bulk production.... So yeah it's in bulk....

Program all components - what happens if Comms fail? You don't have DVCC enabled so what is telling your mppt the voltage it is supposed to produce?

Got a bunch of them in the field with dumb batteries, am not seeing anything unusual in your setup- solar is covering loads and leaving your battery alone....

Also the RS doesn't have led status like the older CAN models, so the part of the manual you are referring to is not exactly relevant to the RS. The screen however will say bulk which is the equivalent to the bulk light flashing.

0 Likes 0 ·
some-user avatar image some-user Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Thx for your answers, I know the MPPT RS isn't following the Quattro. For example if I disable absorption on the MPPT RS (set it to 0 min) the MPPT RS will indeed skip absorption and go directly into float. At the Quattro the absorption time is set to 1 hour (which is the minimum). If the MPPT would really follow the Quattro then absorption shouldn't be skipped at the MPPT.

I guess the question is; where in the system can someone see that the RS is really coupled with the Quattro (by ESS)?

0 Likes 0 ·
some-user avatar image
some-user answered ·

I did some deeper investigations and come to the following conclusion:

I suspect that the charger/inverter (Quattro in my case) works together with the SmartSolar MPPT RS in the following way (ESS setup);

• ESS sends battery voltage readings from the inverter/charger to the MPPT RS.
  • The charge parameters or state isn't synced between the inverter/charger and the MPPT RS.
  • Both inverter/charger and MPPT RS are programmed individually and run individually.
  • The shared voltage allows the individual programming of the devices to be in sync.

At the GX device the "solar charger voltage control" flag is set:

1700559088937.png

You can find this under settings -> system setup -> system status:

I did some testing to see if the voltage is actually synced:
1700559158148.png

I sorted the output of the script;

• Every battery voltage reported by the Quattro will show up as voltage reported by the MPPT RS (this proves ESS shares the voltage reading and the MPPT follows).
  • In between the MPPT RS also reports its own voltages (which are not followed Quattro).
  • I suspect internally the MPPT RS is only acting on the shared voltages even if it sends out its own readings.

1700559212728.png

I can't find this in any documentation, would be nice if Victron can confirm...

1700559088937.png (53.5 KiB)
1700559158148.png (31.1 KiB)
1700559212728.png (154.1 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

zucca avatar image zucca commented ·

Thanks for the steel balls analysis! This is awesome information! One question in my GX under settings -> system setup I do not see any "system status". Any clue why? Latest FW, ESS active like you... Do you have maybe enabled superuser with SSH on the GX?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Some-user,

There are some elements of the ESS documentation that are due for a revision, I've forwarded on your thread to the person working on that.

1 comment
2 |3000

some-user avatar image some-user commented ·
Thank you!
1 Like 1 ·
zucca avatar image
zucca answered ·

Also it would be useful to know if with ESS multiple MPPT RS are forced to work in Network operation "ON". In my ESS I have 3 MPPT RS and they automagically have network operation activated.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic