question

mere avatar image
mere asked

Orion TR Smart switches from Bulk to Absorption to early

Hello,

I installed the Orion-Tr Smart in my camper van. After a view days I recognized that the SOC of my LiFePo4 battery is always very low. And finally I found the problem: the DCDC charger loads the battery in the bulk mode till it reaches the SOC of about 65% and then it switch to absorption and the the current decreases very quickly. Is there a setting for the charger which influences the moment when it stops bulk loading and starts the absorption?

Thank you for your help!

Regards

René

orion-tr smartdc-dc charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
djsmiley avatar image
djsmiley answered ·

How is it connected? And what do the voltages read on both Orion output and battery?
- SOC is way off but battery is actually near full.
Voltage would read like 14V at the battery. Some batteries require 14.4-14.6V to reset the SOC, so the default Victron setting of 14.2V might not be suitable for all batteries.
- Voltage drop in wiring/connections
Orion should be close to the leisure battery with sufficient wire size (10mm2). Make sure there is no bad connection between Orion and batteries. Especially the cheap automatic breakers are common to cause issues. Voltage reading would indicate this (difference in output terminals vs battery terminals)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mere avatar image
mere answered ·

Perhaps I have to mention something: the Orion-TR replaced a Nordellectronica charger, which loaded the battery to 100% before it get broken. The Orion-TR use the same wires. And there is a SmartSolar 100/20 in place which stays in bulk till nearly 100% SOC.

I tried to increase the absorption voltage from 14.2V to 14.4V but with no different behavior.

I will check the voltages this afternoon when I drive again.

2 |3000