ahforster avatar image
ahforster asked

Which settings Smartsolar 100/20 are best for my AGM supercycle 125 Ah and

In the settings menu of the smart solar I can choose:

- AGM spiral cell

- Gel Victron deep discharge 1

- Gel Victron deep discharge 2

- Gel Victron Long Life (OPzv)

Can someone please tell me? It should be better if the options are the same as the batteries Victron produces….

Thanks in advance

MPPT SmartSolarAGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@ahforster

It rather depends on what the manufacturer of your particular AGM suggests as charge and cycle voltages? Do you have the manual/datasheet for it?

You can edit the presets anyway. See this video

The only difference between victron 1 and 2 is the absorption voltage is slightly higher on 2 for cycle use.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ahforster avatar image
ahforster answered ·

Thank you Alexandra,schermafbeelding-2023-11-06-om-211814.png

It is a Victron AGM Supercycle.

I don't know if its a Sprial Cell, or deep discharge (1 or 2) or a Long Life battery.

Victron should give better support in adjusting the options in the app.

Still don't know what setting is best.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

It is all documented in their manuals how to adjust everything. And there are videos on you tube.

If you are cycling use the cycling, if not use the float values. Otherwise either one of the presets will work they are all within the battery ranges and I assume they have tailored them for their batteries since that is how they are named.

0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Use expert mode to set the absorption and float settings to the figures in the table above which is what I have done. If you discharge and recharge routinely use cycle service normal settings. I have the Victron Telecom AGM batteries which use similar settings and have 14.5V for absorb and 13.6V for float and they seem well after 3 years service. The one info that is missing from some of the Victron AGM battery datasheets is temperature compensation so I have used the figure from the standard AGM batteries which states. As a rule, it is always best to set the values rather than relying on presets.

14. Effect of temperature on charging voltage
The charge voltage should be reduced with increased temperature. Temperature compensation is required when the temperature of the battery is expected to be less than 10°C / 50°F or more than 30°C / 85°F during long periods of time. The recommended temperature compensation for Victron VRLA batteries is -4 mV / Cell (-24 mV /°C for a 12V battery). The centre point for temperature compensation is 25°C / 70°F.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The deep discharge 2 setting will work well, but I'd be tempted to follow @pwfarnell suggestion for more accurate control.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic