question

pgbsolar avatar image
pgbsolar asked

Very weird SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 readings?

Hi All,

I have a very weird problem with my new setup:

-SmartSolar MPPT 100/50

-2 x 200w Renogy Flexible panels

-9m cable [designated as 6mm2, but I believe it to be 4.58mm2 wire 10AWG].

-2 x Lithium 100AH batteries

…where, if I have either panel attached by themselves - I get very similar readings per panel (as to be expected) - but If I attach them together in a series; the collection wattage is near on identical to that of just a single panel?

First Panel Both Panels -
3panel2-screenshot-20231104-153857.jpg 4both-screenshot-20231104-153811.jpg

Second Panel - Both Panels -
1panel1-screenshot-20231104-154021.jpg 2both-screenshot-20231104-154046.jpg

Note: I tested it many times in consistent light where it only varied by a watt or two after swapping from SINGLE panel, to DUAL panel (as can be seen above).

This obviously makes no sense to me, so I'm hoping the community has an idea why I'm generating the same power from 2 panels as I do 1? Is there some settings in the MPPT I need to address, as I'm really confused?

Thanks in advance, cheers Peter

MPPT SmartSolarSolar Panelsmart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @pgbsolar

Yes, something seems wrong. The mppt may not be tracking the Vmp, as those panel V's seem too high for typical panels. You could check against the panel specs for Vmp.

It should track when the panels are first connected (with battery connected first), then every 10 min thereafter. This can be clearly seen with spiking of panel V and I in Trends, and panel V should end up closer to the Vmp of the panel specs in good light.

It won't track if the battery target V (like Absorb) has been reached. It might pay to check with a multimeter that Vbat isn't being misreported for some reason.

Might be worth updating firmware (mppt and Connect) too, if not been done for awhile.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

There's a max charge current in the settings. What's this set to?

Have you set battery type to lithium?

2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

What dies the MPPT show, if you connect the panels parallel?

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic