question

Redland Sanders avatar image
Redland Sanders asked

90kVA 3 phase ESS slow ramp

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

@Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff)

Hi both, I need some help on improving the speed of response (gain) of the Quattro's in a large group.

My challenge is how long it takes for the inverters to reach their Grid target set points to compensate for power demand. It takes about 10 seconds for a system of 6x Quattro 15kVA to ramp up to 75kW and about the same to ramp down again. Grid meter data via EM24 MQTT Driver with sub 1 second delay.

I can't hold the grid to zero if the system lags it's power response.

I've tried some custom controls in Mode3 setting the grid set points myself but the lag is still there. It's like an inbuilt limit on the proportional gain in the ESS set point PID.

Where do I find the PID parameters for the control loop for ESS? Are they beyond reach in the Quattro firmware?

Does anyone know how to speed up the response of large systems? I really need the quattro to be able to ramp 0-100% power in 1 second or less, much like the MPII series. I have no issues with the 0-100% ramp in the 48/5000 and 48/10000.

The Quattro's must be cable of high instantaneous response because they can do it with an off-grid load. So why the difference in ESS?

Is this just a bug that has been overlooked or can it be mitigated via a different system configuration?

e.g. Does the ramp limit still exist if I reconfigure to 3x30KVA single phase systems? Or is the limit a function of grouping in parallel and series at the same time?

Any suggestions of other things I can try myself.

Thanks

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers